cable failed building inspection

zekthedeadcow

New member
I ran about 2000ft of 22/2 CM/CL2 cable for mics in conduit through a concrete floor and it failed the electrical inspection. Apparently he is interpreting the floor as outside because otherwise CM rated cable should work.

whats the rating for indoor/outdoor undrrground conduit rated mic cable? :) I think it's CMR/CMX but nobody that I can find has ever heard of needing anything other than CM/CL2.

we might appeal as it realy looks like the guy didn't know what he was looking at, but otherwise it looks like I may have an awful lot of patch cables...
 

mshilarious

Banned
zekthedeadcow said:
I ran about 2000ft of 22/2 CM/CL2 cable for mics in conduit through a concrete floor and it failed the electrical inspection. Apparently he is interpreting the floor as outside because otherwise CM rated cable should work.

whats the rating for indoor/outdoor undrrground conduit rated mic cable? :) I think it's CMR/CMX but nobody that I can find has ever heard of needing anything other than CM/CL2.

we might appeal as it realy looks like the guy didn't know what he was looking at, but otherwise it looks like I may have an awful lot of patch cables...

Who cares? Mic cable is carrying what, max 1V or so? Damn, I didn't know codes applied to such low voltage schtuff :(
 

frederic

New member
mshilarious said:
Who cares? Mic cable is carrying what, max 1V or so? Damn, I didn't know codes applied to such low voltage schtuff :(

Code applies to everything.

The problem here is not the installation, but rather an inspector that didn't comprehend what he/she was inspecting.
 

punkin

Univalve & Avatar Speaks
Just curious...did he fail the cable or the conduit or the fact that you used these two materials together?

I agree with Frederic...the inspector may not have known what he was looking at. NEC does have a bunch of codes for signalling cables...most of them regard the installation of the materials (cable grouping and separation...keep AC away from DC, away from signalling etc) and of course the plenum restrictions.

I'd like to know more about the details of the failed inspection.
 

frederic

New member
Did you hand the inspector a danish and a cup of coffee?

That solves 80% of "inspector related" problems. A big stick solves the other 20%. :D
 

Michael Jones

New member
mshilarious said:
Who cares? Mic cable is carrying what, max 1V or so? Damn, I didn't know codes applied to such low voltage schtuff :(
48V phantom power from the pre-amp - isn't that what mic cable carries?
That's enough to give you a good wallop.
 

northsiderap

New member
Walloping

Although it is well under 1 watt...

You can get code books, or go to the library and read them. They differ state to state, but you should be able to find small signal, audio, and data transfer regulations.

Give the inspector the specific code you were following when you installed before you chase him out with a stick.
 

ridgeback

New member
Important!

The AHJ has to site what code has been violated. I've checked and so far can't find anything. I would speak to him again and have him give you the actual code ref number. What state are you in?
 

Mo-Kay

Dragon Soul Productions
frederic
frederic.midimonkey.com Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,521
Rep Power: 10


Did you hand the inspector a danish and a cup of coffee?

That solves 80% of "inspector related" problems. A big stick solves the other 20%

*concentrates to not make anything obscene out of "big stick" comment"*

:D
 

frederic

New member
It was a non-sexual attempt at humor.

I've owned quite a few businesses over the years, requiring fire and safety, as well as construction inspections. I also early on was an electrical contractor, which too required inspections.

Most inspectors give you a hard time when they don't know better. Often a cup of coffee and an explaination is all you need. Some of them have their hand out, some of them are just powerless monkeys who as an inspector, can exert a lifetime of being irrelevent upon your inspection. It's a matter of reading the person you're dealing with, pushing the right buttons, and going forward. I have generally found they know less about code than they think they do, and you have to approach that in a kind way, as not to offend them. "Listen you fooking idiot" generally is not a good way to start a conversation, unless the fooking idiot is clearly being obstinate just to be a pain in the butt.
 
Top