cabinets housing R2R decks to isolate deck noise - Tascam 38

LUNE

...a pieds joints
Hey everyone -

I'm still getting on great with my 388, but eventually I'll be getting the 38 going - I found a DX8 to go with it, and later i'll get a better monitor mixer to use it with the 388 mixer...

- but something I'm noticing when i play the 38 is that there is rather a bit of acoustic noise from the transport mechanism - its possible the deck is a little wobbly, but i think its mostly within spec - i mean to say that its not terribly loud - its just that i record quieter acoustic music and use sensitive condensers with distance mic'ing, omni patterns etc. - so any sounds in the room are often captured so for instance if my 388 didn't have the window/cover, I'd prob'ly hear the machine in my recordings... so what I was thinking was to build a cabinet for the 38 to give similar isolation from transport sounds as the 388 has. of course its not really practical for me to have a control room as i'm the engineer & musician even if i had space for that...

has anyone had this problem or the same idea to build something like this? if anyone's done it - i'd love to see pictures.

happy recording!:drunk::p
(do we get our smiley privileges revoked with careless usage? - i wanna use the spank one...)

Back