c3/at3035/ntk

Badtz

any help with these selections for primarily female with occassional male recordings?

i'll either be using the pre's on a motu 828 or the pre's on an apogee trak2..........

any help would be greatly appreciated, as this will end up being my first condenser mic.........

thanks! :)

Badtz said:
any help with these selections for primarily female with occassional male recordings?

i'll either be using the pre's on a motu 828 or the pre's on an apogee trak2..........

any help would be greatly appreciated, as this will end up being my first condenser mic.........

thanks! :)

I'm not familiar with your pres but any one of these mics can produce very good tracks.

Steve
http://www.piemusic.com

If it were me I'd have a hard time choosing between the NTK and C-3, especially since I've only heard them on Mp3s. I think the AT 4047 or 4050 would compare more favorably to the NTK than the 3035 would.

Not heard the 4047 or 4050. But I have done A/B comparisons with the C-3 and NTK. The C-3 is good but I thought the NTK was maginally better... a little less coloured, more transparent "classy" sound. I ended up buying the NTK and have had it for 2 months... I've been very happy with it. Internally the NTK looks neater and stronger.

Interesting- My results are exactly the opposite of dres, and I own C3 and NTK. I find NTK more colored and darker, and very nice. I have found C3 to be the more versatile all around mic. Better, IMHO, for ambient micing, better for instruments, and with bass rolloff, pad, and multipolar capability, much more versatile. If I was only going to have one LD condenser, I'd choose C3, until I got to a higher price point. Then it would be AKG 414BULS, then a B.L.U.E. Kiwi vs. Neumann U87. I find tube mics in general to be beautiful for certain types of vocals, but I haven't found them to be so hot as instrument mics or room mics.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Interesting- My results are exactly the opposite of dres, and I own C3 and NTK. I find NTK more colored and darker, and very nice. I have found C3 to be the more versatile all around mic. Better, IMHO, for ambient micing, better for instruments, and with bass rolloff, pad, and multipolar capability, much more versatile. If I was only going to have one LD condenser, I'd choose C3, until I got to a higher price point. Then it would be AKG 414BULS, then a B.L.U.E. Kiwi vs. Neumann U87. I find tube mics in general to be beautiful for certain types of vocals, but I haven't found them to be so hot as instrument mics or room mics.-Richie

I think I'd agree with your analysis of upgrade paths except I'd choose an AKG C414B/TLII over the C414B/ULS.

I'd still say that any of the three mics the gentlemen inquires about can produce good quality tracks.

Steve
http://www.piemusic.com

if my concern is NOT about mic'ing/recording instruments, just vocals...... should i just try for a tube mic instead?

Back