c1 or nt2 and prosonus mp20\vsx or art tube mp?

Montra

hi there, i'm thinking about buying the nt2 for recording my vocals and acoustic guitar into the pc, but now i have been reading all these positive threads about the studio projects c1. i can get the nt2 for $499. canadian, but haven't yet phoned about the c1...........also, looking for some feedback on which pre-amp works best with either mic....thanx

thanx gidge, i'll check out that site you hyperlinked.....i write in so many styles, want a good overall mic, if i do any distorted guitar obviously it'll be with the podpro, but the vocals i'll sing anything from creed to reo speedwagon to country stuff like diamond rio.....then i'll kringe while listening to the flat forced notes!!!
.........then change keys... lol

rode nt-2

hey all...I have been using the rode nt-2 for almost a year now...and have been really happy with the sounds i have gotten for vocals, acoustic guitar, and even drum overheads. I am using the joe meek vc6q and the digi 001 pro tools mic pre's. It's definitely an awesome mic for the price. I have a buddy who has recorded many projects at one of the largest studios in the southeast, and he was impressed with the sound of the nt-2. I just purchased the discontinued ntv valve microphone this week. We had a mic-shootout with male/female vocals the other night between the nt-2, ntv, & the akg solidtube. I guess it really boils down to opinion...but we all really liked the ntv the best of all. a very nice and warm sounding microphone...definitely worth what i paid for it! hope this helps...

they say the ntk is a quieter version of the ntv....I am going to do a test on this one...a good friend of mine has an ntk and i have the ntv...

they also say that the nt1000 is the upgraded version of the nt1...

I never had the nt1...but that's what the guys at the mega stores are saying...

hope this helps.

-daniel

montra- I have the PreSonus MP20 and ART Tube Channel (similar to the Tube MP), but I haven't tried them with THOSE particular mikes.

MP20- Good at recording transients and detail, excellent on acoustic guitars and percussion, has great features and is built really well, very quiet.

ART- softens the sound, the tube stage adds a subtle effect that helps to soften bright sounding microphones. I like it for a lot of things, vocals, synths, Bass POD, drum machine.

The Tube MP is probably an excellent buy for $89, or any of the ART products for that matter. The PreSonus iMP20 is excellent quality for the money, and I like it a lot. The VXP uses the same preamp.

thanx for the reply's,,,,
swsmusic, sounds like it might have been fun doing that mic shoot-out!!!!!!!! hey check out that link gidge posted, it's a great article on the nt1000 and ntk. it has me thinking about both of them now, think i can only afford the nt1000, sounds like an excellent start to me, thanx gidge fer the link,,,,,,
wide awake, thanx for the descriptions about the mic pre-amps, sounds like a person needs both!!! (licking my wish list chops), oh it's good to know that santa clause is coming soooooon!!! peace.

Montra,

Do yourself the favour of following Gidge's advice and look into the Studio Projects C1 or C3.
I'm not saying they are better or worse than Rodes, just a different mic and for the dollars a damned fine spledid one at that. And from memory the capsules come from the same place.

Peace.......ChrisO :cool:

I wouldn't say the NT1000 is an upgrade of the NT1. It's a completely different capsule and electronics. To me, it sounds like the NTK with less noise and no crunch, a little more high end, not quite as smooth.

What's up ausrock, where's your Aussie loyalty! ;)

you are probably right...charger
my comment about the nt1000 and the nt2 was solely on what the mega store employees were saying about the mic.

I have used other products like akg, at, shure...and for the purpose that i am using these mics for, that nt2 was a solid investment for my first mic. since then, i have fallen for rode.
i am really curious to see hwat that new C1 sounds like up against the nt2, ntv, and the akg solidtube.

rock on....

HEY SWS!

Have you had any time to do the comparison of the NTV vs. the NTK yet? I know that the NTV uses jenson components in it's box as opposed to the NTK which doesn't. Do they both make your voice sound like butta? Which one of them colors your voice more?

ntv freak accident

hey guys/gals...
i have no idea what happened here, but my brand new ntv just stopped working, so i had to send it off to Rode last week. I should be getting it back by the end of this week, keeping my fingers crossed, and I will then be able to do the comparisson between the ntv and the ntk.

-daniel

ntv vs ntk.

I have an ntv and my friend has an ntk...this is a pretty subjective opinion, but here goes:

I think the ntv has more of a warm smooth phat tube tone and I love it.

Great on most vocals, and elec guitars, don't really like it much for others things like acoustic guitar, percussion like shaker's and other stuff like that.

The ntv is not as smooth or tubey but still excellent. I think for lack of a better word, I'd say it has more of a detailed and noticable mid range. Vocals cut differently, (not better not worse) and much better for acoustic guitars such.

I think the ntk is more well rounded, but the people that I've found who sound good on the ntv REALLY sound GREAT.

I want to add that my c1 just showed up yesterday....WOW. The ntv doesn't work too well on my voice (I don't sing much anyway) But the c1 does. The c1 and ntv are very different...I'm glad I have both.

I cant reply on the mics... but... the MP-20 is much nicer than the Tube MP, in my opinion, and I'm starting to become one picky bastard.

the rugged c-1

i just got my c-1 and it sounds fantastic....the sound of a much higher priced mic. the c-1 passed the durability test too....last night i was micing a guitar cab with it (killer sound), and my guitar cord got caught on the mic stand and the c-1 hit the damn floor (GIANT "OH MY GOD!").....but it took a lickin' and its still tickin' like new. thanks to alan for producing a great product at a bargin basement price!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ntv vs ntk.

I have an ntv and my friend has an ntk...this is a pretty subjective opinion, but here goes:

I think the ntv has more of a warm smooth phat tube tone and I love it.

Great on most vocals, and elec guitars, don't really like it much for others things like acoustic guitar, percussion like shaker's and other stuff like that.

The ntv is not as smooth or tubey but still excellent. I think for lack of a better word, I'd say it has more of a detailed and noticable mid range. Vocals cut differently, (not better not worse) and much better for acoustic guitars such.

I think the ntk is more well rounded, but the people that I've found who sound good on the ntv REALLY sound GREAT.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Executivos,

Could you clarify? You stated that the NTV has more of a warm smooth fat tube tone but then go on to say the the NTV is not as smooth or tubey. Which is it?

Since I am thinking of purchasing one or the other this info would help me.

Thanks!

hahahah i put that in there to make sure people were paying attention.....errrr.....yeah thats it.

It was a typo....it should have read like this:

"The NTK is not as smooth or tubey but still excellent. I think for lack of a better word, I'd say it has more of a detailed and noticable mid range. Vocals cut differently, (not better not worse) and much better for acoustic guitars such."

I hope my "descriptions" make sense. If you're looking for the one mic to own, I'd get the ntk. If you can get an ntv and c1 (thats what I got) I would definitely recommend it.

Back