Bypassing the preamps on a digital mixer - how much difference?

teainthesahara

Im currently working with a fostex 16 bit digital mixer (records at 20bits, and dithers to 16). In order to use several external preamps at once, i've got to run them in through the fostex preamp inputs (with the gain off). This mixer has an optical input as well; what difference in sound will there be if i get an old-school external A/D converter (eg. 20 bit symetrix 620) so I can bypass the fostex preamps?

I suppose i will be bypassing the fostex A/D conversion as well. Do the older, external 20bit A/D units sound any good?

T

I use a Rumour and the difference in conversion is definitely noticeable. Good way to spend $ and improve sound (as opposed to just satisfying GAS)

Big Kenny said:
I use a Rumour and the difference in conversion is definitely noticeable. Good way to spend $ and improve sound (as opposed to just satisfying GAS)

Ahhh...im glad you wrote that. I was wondering if thinking about this type of tinker was just GAS acting up or otherwise. Do you attribute the difference to the converters, or not having to route a certain way on your mixer?

T

Back