bypass Firepod's preamps and AD converter with UA 4-710d - How to set up?

dontouch

Is it possible to bypass the Firepod's preamps and A/D converter by using something like the UA 4-710d?
The firepod has one S/PDIF I/O. But on the UA 4-710d, the output choices are:
XLRs
one WC I/O
two ADAT out
one AES/EBU (DB-25)

Which one do I use to connect to the Firepod for bypassing? Would I be able to assign the VST inputs in my DAW software?

I'm using 3 mics on drums, 1 mic on vocal and 2 line-in for synth.

Thanks!

You can't. The outputs of the UA 4-710d are AES/EBU and ADAT. The only digital inputs on the Firepod are S/PDIF. If you want to use the UA unit, you'll have to also buy an interface that can accept AES/EBU or ADAT digital inputs and feed them into your computer.

Edited to Add: It is possible to connect AES/EBU audio to an S/PDIF input but this would be limited to only two channels of audio at up to 96kHz, so you'd be wasting 3/4 of the capacity of your UA unit. Also, there are varying opinions on whether it is good practice to directly interface AES and S/PDIF--it rather depends on the chip sets being used whether this works in a satisfactory manner or not. You'd also have to make up your own adaptor cable to go from the UA D-sub connector to the RCA/Phono jacks in use on the Firepod.

Bob

Back