Bye Bye Love (The Cars)

Stratomaster

Every year on Valentines I try and post a song/video on Facebook to say hello to friends and family before I resume my hermithood. This year I had a collaborator, a singer friend of mine and we decided on The Cars "Bye Bye Love" to continue the ironic valentines choice of years past. I haven't posted anything here in a while, so here it is.

I already had great respect for Elliot Easton, but doing this reminded me what a great player he is. It took me a few days of practice and 10 passes at the solo just to splice together a reasonable facsimile of what he played. The guitar were all recorded with a UA Ruby pedal, first time trying it. The keyboard solo had to be "played rhythmically" for timing then "fixed" on the midi grid. Tedious.

You tube was a tremendous resource, there are isolated guitar and bass tracks, demonstrations of the keyboard solo and the guitar and bass tracks (though i don't think anyone demonstrated the guitar parts accurately) along with live performance videos of the band to help out.

Thanks!

Good cover. My problem with it isn't you, but me. I am so familiar with the album version hard to be objective. But your cover is good.

Overall impression is that it sounds a bit thin, like it's all been severely hi passed. Good version though, very accurate, if you could get some beef into the kick, bass and guitar it would hit harder like the original did

I love the Cars. And Elliot Easton is a terrific (under-rated) player.

Guitars are a little low in the mix. Doubled vox would sound nice.

You nailed the keyboard stuff.

Back