Bye Bye Gearslutz Political correctness rears its ugly head

I've been pretty good about not buying a bunch of new stuff lately. Instead, I've put quite a bit into the house, after 30+ years. You can burn up cash even faster than buying audio gear or guitars!

I have GAS bad right now.
I have really put the brakes on gear buying. Sans a cord or connector now and then feel like I have everything I need to get audio down...now on the video side I'm trying hard not to fall into the same trap and keeping it simple...but we'll see...Have liquidated a ton of stuff but still have more to get rid of.....minimalistically simplifying..KISS! KEEP IT STUPIDLY SIMPLE

Looked up the definition and was surprised to see the word "slut" does not mean what we used it for from when I was growing up... We knew the intended meaning, but we also used it as a term for someone who liked something (usually sex) a lot. You could be a car slut (in multiple senses) because you like cars or hot rods, or (more formally) because you liked sex in cars...
Pretty sure that was a fairly accepted definition. Funny how the dictionary expands and contracts based on who is offended, almost like people want to be offended.

Other than minor accessories from time to time.....my GAS has pretty much stopped. While GAS has caused me to buy a number of amps and headphones and mics......it mainly infected my guitar buying. I have 7 guitars now and have owned maybe 15 - 20 in my lifetime and have been on a quest for that ultimate axe.....you know....the one that ends the search. Well.......lesson learned....I think. In 1976 I bought my Les Paul Custom (blonde) as my first guitar. Ever since then.....I haven't found anything I've thought was better overall. Just my opinion of course.......but I think could have avoided about 45 years of searching and buying and searching and buying. It was fun though......and maybe that's half the reason I did it.

Just my 2 cents worth of blah blah blah.

Mick

Other than minor accessories from time to time.....my GAS has pretty much stopped. While GAS has caused me to buy a number of amps and headphones and mics......it mainly infected my guitar buying. I have 7 guitars now and have owned maybe 15 - 20 in my lifetime and have been on a quest for that ultimate axe.....you know....the one that ends the search. Well.......lesson learned....I think. In 1976 I bought my Les Paul Custom (blonde) as my first guitar. Ever since then.....I haven't found anything I've thought was better overall. Just my opinion of course.......but I think could have avoided about 45 years of searching and buying and searching and buying. It was fun though......and maybe that's half the reason I did it.

Just my 2 cents worth of blah blah blah.

Mick
I can certainly understand why you still have a fondness for that blonde 1976 Les Paul Custom.
I purchased a Les Paul Custom (all black) in 1980. It was then at that time, and remains so as the best guitar I had ever purchased. I wish I hadn't sold that guitar.
Ten years ago ago, or thereabouts, I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (all black) which was supposed to be nearly identical. It came close, but not close enough.

For sure my little Hammond m3 and 910 leslie that was my first purchase still stands the test of time in 2021 ( though long gone) On the strings, synths and electric piano's my Elka Rhapsody and Roland SH3 ( that also were part of my first $4K+ deep dive into GAS in 1975) though definitely very cool and capable of making a limited number of awesome sounds totally pale to my recently acquired MODX8 and my Nord Electro 4 with these two boards and soft synths the keyboard world is my oyster..I don't need to spend another dime...Thus selling off most of the stuff and making room...ahhhhh Having a hard time letting go of the SH3 but I really should let someone who digs fiddling with that vintage stuff use it since I sure am not. still have a hammond M1 sitting there that I never fire up because the Nord does the job just to easily. what's a gear hoarder to do?

The one and only instrument I have longed to own is a Fender Rhodes.
Decades ago, musician friends of mine owned Fender Rhodes.
Synth sounds can never replicate that sound.

Reactions: TAE
Man...I had a Fender Rhodes many moons ago. It was a silver top and sounded awesome......but.....it took two guys (at least) to pick it up. Transporting it was not easy due to the size and weight. They came with a combo speaker / stand if you bought one with it. Between the piano and the speaker......HUGE to put in any car. The electronics were "iffy' at best. The tines were easily affected by temperature.....and they broke off quite often. Replacing them was quite a science in itself and tuning them was crazy. The felt pads wore quickly. What a pain.....but man......what a sound. Never found anything that duplicated it.

My 2 cents worth of on and on.......

Mick

The one and only instrument I have longed to own is a Fender Rhodes.
Decades ago, musician friends of mine owned Fender Rhodes.
Synth sounds can never replicate that sound.
Well actually they have done an amazing job of emulating all the vintage keyboards I mean they are converting real audio samples ...think mellotron back in the day doing strings to the 10th power...I have played many a rhodes and owned a wurlitzer. Albeit cool to play, no way could I audibly tell the difference between them and a good sampled version blindfolded today. The feel of the playing keys on the other hand is absolutely different and unique. Here's me doing Edgar Winters Autumn ( Danny Hartman ) using my MOX a few years back...Bad ass EP sound and it has dozens to choose from. https://soundclick.com/r/s840xg

It makes me very happy to see everybody here is completely non PC.

Tried to delete my Gslutz account, couldn't figure out how to. Never mind.

Back