Buzzing and Humming, power issue?

AlecBeretz

(Hey, not sure if this is the right thread, i figured studio building is the closest to my problem.)

I just moved into a new house, and I set up my home studio in the basement.

While recording bass, I was having a serious buzzing problem. It was almost as loud as my bass signal...
I thought it was the amp, but the DI signal was also buzzing. I tried a guitar too, same problem. Using a humbucker made it marginally better.

The hum stopped after I unplugged everything from the walls and recorded the bass DI. Just so we're clear, this setup was
bass=>interface=>computer=>headphones, nothing needed power.

I plug an extension cord into the wall, but the extension cord isn't plugged into anything. No buzz. If I draw power, such as a laptop charger or an amp, I get buzz. But the guitar pickups have to be picking it up in the air, since the guitar isn't linked to the electrical system in any way.

Thanks for any help, cheers.

Last edited:
Sounds like your house has bad wiring. In the basement, you should have GFI circuits, could be a bad breaker or outlets doing it.

Do you get the buzz if you use the same mains free setup but with a microphone, a good one such as a Shure SM 57/58?

Does the buzz get louder if you increase the load on the power strip? Say from an amp to a 2kW heater?

I know very little of US wiring codes but it seems to me that the house has been wired by a no nothing DIY'er!

Dave.

Try one of THESE to see if your ground is not adequate. You may need to rewire some outlets with good ground. If there are fluorescent bulbs anywhere, try turning them on and off to see if they are causing the buzz. Just a few quick easy tries.

Back