buzz on mesa boogie

an1989dy

i have a mesa boogie dual rectifier and when i play on it there is alot of buzz coming out of it. this has caused a problem when i am trying to mic it for recording. any help?"

What kind of guitar are you playing? SIngle coil pick-ups are a lot noisier than humbuckers. Also gobs of gain will make any noise louder, and the closer you are to the amp the noisier it's gonna be.

Suppose I should have asked what kind of noise it is. Try unplugging the guitar cable from the amp and see how noisy the amp is. This will give you an idea whether the noise is from the guitar or amp.

It could be one of your tubes or one of your speakers as well. When's the last time you changed your preamp tubes?

sometimes lots of effect pedals plugged into the front of an amp will pickup noise as well.

i use a rocktron hush 2c. its got two channels of hush. i run my guitar through my effects and into the first channel of the hush and into the front of my amp. then i put second channel of the hush into the FX loop to take out any preamp noise.

even really loud the thing will be dead silent until you play.

there is also a ground flipping switch on the back of the amp, i think they have 3 positions. experiment with that as well.

I get a bit of low rumble distortion when playing clean with my Marshall DSL50 amp. Not too sure if this is meant to be there, could it be natural distortion from the tubes maybe? Its not a great problem and i kinda like the low rumble anyway! I cant see how it can be a fault in the amp as i havent had it for that long and i can always remember the rumble being there.

make sure any non-recording electrical objects are turned off inside your house. especially computer monitors and TV's.

nothing ticks me off more than to hear buzzing through my amp because my neighbour in the apartment next door is running her vacuum.

Back