Buying used over the internet... Bad idea?

zenpeace69

I found what I think to be a good deal on an ADK A-51 Hamburg condenser microphone. It was $99 bucks. It should be here by the end of the week.

I have purchased a lot of gear over the internet (and seeing that I'm in a really rural area, it's the only way for me to find good used deals). Anyhow, I suppose I will have to quickly put it through its paces as soon as I get it because I only have a 24 hour approval period.

Any thoughts?

I've purchased lots of audio gear over the internet - probably in the vicinity of $40,000-50,000 worth or so in the last three or four years. I've had virtually no problems. I think I've had one bad mic out of the 80 or 90 or so I've purchased -- most off of e-bay. It happens, but the percentages have been pretty good. That said, there seem to be more scams reaching down to lower priced items these days. Read the ad very carefully. Read it again. Do your due diligence like any other internet purchase. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Some sources are a little safer than others. Buying from forum members that you recognize or "know" helps. This forum and Gearslutz are but two examples of sources that might be "safer" than e-bay. You can often research the seller if they have their own website. I've bought stuff from people who, as it turned out, are fairly prominent artists, engineers or producers. Leaves me wondering if Jackson Brown or Mellissa Ethridge might have played through the API 550b EQ and lunchbox I bought from their producer/engineer. :D Just improves your odds.

Good luck!

i've bought quite a bit of used gear, recording and guitar stuff. i think if you're careful and ask the right questions, it's a pretty good way to get stuff at a good price.

I buy almost ALL used gear.
I buy from people here, ebay, harmony central, my local paper, musicgoround.com, and a couple of other places.....

hindustudiosgod said:
Always buy brand new gear that smells fresh. Used gear sucks and there are scratches which really irritates me. Thank you.
...its a good thing you're a hindu god

hindustudiosgod said:
HAHA. You use ART Tube MP. That's a garbage pre-amp(professional way of saying PRE AMPLIFIER, I use this term because I'm a professional). I use the Creative Soundblaster Live! preamps. They are very awesome.
I never said I used an ART Tube MP....
...it merely acts as a conduit for my gods to converse with me....

and when I crank the toob knob....it makes my gods sound WARM.....

before this - my gods spoke to me through pork chops and hamburger - so this is a step up....

It's addictive

Hi,

I've been building out my studio on ebay and it's addictive.

I've never been a gambler but bidding on ebay helps me to understand the thrill.

Lots of ups and downs.

That said when my rational self looks at what I've purchased and the prices paid I approve. I've had a few small purchases that weren't everything I'd hoped they would be but no ripoffs.

Of course I'm not counting the hours spent on ebay, here, and elsewhere around the internet. Because I enjoy it. And I'm learning.

I can quit anytime.

Sure.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

hairylarry said:
I can quit anytime.
Of course you can Larry. ;) :D

I have a rating of 276 on ebay and that's 99% buying, I think I've sold maybe 5 or 6 things.

I got ripped off on a CD years ago which cost about £3.00, never had a bad experience other than that (and that was before the days of paypal, now I'd be able to get my money back anyway).

My latest ebay purchase is an as new EV 635A for £41 ($75). Probably not such a good deal over there but that's a pretty good price for the UK (retail is £150).

Back