buying the usb version of the maya44?

jkvd

Dear people,

Someone gave an old maya44 soundcard and I used it for a few recorderings and was suprised with de (convertor) sound of the card!

Suddenly it broke down,,, tried it in another machine, but it's really dead.

It crossed my mind to buy the motu828 kmII, but that's at the moment to pricey for me and in this stage 4 track recording will do. Since I want to make recordings on location with my XP laptop I need an usb/firewire device. It has to be onder 250 euro's/dollars. The maya44 usb is 150 euro's. Is this a good plan or are there any good alternatives?

Thanks in advanced!

Welcome to the board, fellow dutchman.
I advise against USB devices, especially for more than 2 tracks. The USB bandwidth is limited and I've encountered problems with USB devices myself, so have many others so I'm cured.
Also a few months C'T magazine published a test with I believe 18 different USB soundcards and they concluded that whether a device will work for you is really like flipping a coin.
Save up for a firewire device. The ESI Quata fire 610 looks nice.

shit, I made some serious mistakes in my writing... and then a Dutchman reads it. Thanks for the welcome. I'm into music quite a while, but discovered this forum way to late.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. It seemed to me that a manufactuer would use the protocol that can handle the dataflow.

I see the us price is around the 500 dollarfor the fire610, that's half of my ultamate goal the 1000 dollar motu828 mkII. The maya44usb is just 150. I'll just have to keep looking I'm afraid.

Back