buying a new house...

e unum pluribus

hey guys im buying a house and since im single and will be using it to record/jam in a lot should i shoot for vaulted ceilings and hardwood floors for the acoustics or am i way off??? i would love to just have the living room dedicated to acoustics id rather not get into sound treating it to make it dead i want to capture some good natural acoustics...

here is the advise i got so far...

"Hardwood floors you can add, but a room with a high ceiling is always desirable. Look at a period property (nothing later than about 1930). Rooms were bigger, ceilings were often higher, and build quality was often fantastic (solid brick internal walls rather than stud walls for instance).

the advise is seems sound (pun :p )

but... is it really that important to seek this out cause seems to me that it would be a lot of cost for ... how much improvement on acoustics you know?

he also just suggested that i buy a house already with a tracking room... id kinda like to do it myself though, since i dont have the money to buy a house owned by a famous recording artist yet... lol

I don’t mean to hit you with a list of no brainers, but I’d look for things like newer electric, good plumbing, a reliable furnace, well insulated, decent roof, newer windows and a solid/dry basement foundation preferably in a quiet non-flood zone.

Beyond that, possibly the lot size and in an area where you can (if you wish) build a coach house or remodel or rebuild a garage (studio) should the need arise down the line.

I ‘m sure anyone here that has ever bought a home or was charmed by a seemingly attractive feature of what soon became a never ending money pit will agree that these things (And others) are the foremost considerations that will add much more to your day to day recording experience than all the ceiling height or hardwood floors in the world.

But on the other hand… I wish I had 10 or 12 foot ceilings myself :(

It’s exciting to buy a home with the prospects of recording, but please don’t lose sight of the bigger picture.

Back