Buying a decent Mic

Yossarian

Hey, I need to buy a Mic to sing in at the space I just rented... what's a good model, style and what-not to look for... Looking to spend like $100. Thanks.

It's hard to find a great quality mic for $100 or less. However there are some decent mics in that price range. Some of the favorites include the AKG Perception series, and the AT 2020. Other people on this board like mics from Samson and Studio Projects but I have no experience with those, so I cannot say. I do know that I like the AKG's and AT's. The best thing to do is to go to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash and ask if you can audition mics. Each mic is going to work differently and uniquely on your voice, so it's good to listen and find what YOU like.

shure sm57 or sm58 if you're singing live

how are dunbar, milo minderbinder and major major major doing?

Thanks

Good stuff... it's not singing live, any show we've played they always provide the PA, though I am sure I will need it for a show at some point... just needed it for practice...
And Dunbar is very bored and happy.

Yossarian said:
Good stuff... it's not singing live, any show we've played they always provide the PA, though I am sure I will need it for a show at some point... just needed it for practice...
And Dunbar is very bored and happy.
Oh, I thought you were using it for recording. My bad. If you're using it fr rehearsal I agree with JohnnyC SM57 or SM58 would be the best hands down.

Audix OM5 or OM6. If you buy it used, you should be able to get one for $100 (OM6) or less (OM5). Better than an SM-58 IMHO.

Whats the difference between SM-57 and SM-58. I read somewhere that the 57 is more for micing amps and 58 for voice. true?

Sm58

From what little I know, the SM58 picks up more bass in it's range, so it's better for voice, and better at covering a weak voice.

Thought it had to do with if one is a condensor mic or the other kind, I forget the name of off top of head. Came back to edit, check out link Studio Engineer posted. Great mic info,

Shure SM58 or used Beta 58
Sennheiser e835
Audix OM1,2,5,6,7 (Personally I use OM5s for vocals live)
AKG D800 series used

From what little I know, the SM58 picks up more bass in it's range, so it's better for voice, and better at covering a weak voice.

I don't know about a weak voice, but yes it has a tad more bass than a 57 due to the ball.

the 57 also has a slight increase in the highs i forget where specificly, that and the 58 has a windscreen. i would say get a 58 for your purpose

tbone36109 said:
the 57 also has a slight increase in the highs i forget where specificly, that and the 58 has a windscreen. i would say get a 58 for your purpose

And I would say that's great advice. :D The 58 will take a lot of punishment and if you work on your technique it can be used equally well with thin or LOUD vox. I've even mic'd guitars with it in a pinch but it's not great for that use. Have fun.

Have you bought it yet? :confused:

Yossarian said:

Or, as I like to describe it, muddier. :D

Back