Buy Reaper or use the bundled software

Reggie49

G'Day All,
I posted an earlier request for guidance on recording software to use and subsequently downloaded Reaper and I'm slowly coming to grips with setting it up and using it.

The question I have is, that I've had to upgrade my sound interface as the sound card just didn't cut it and it came bundled with Cubase LE4 recording software.

What I'd like to know is, do I persevere and try to master using Reaper and then pay for it, or is this Cubase software worth trying?

If it's a watered down version of the retail software and has serious limitations, to the point I'd need to eventually upgrade it, I think I'll stick with Reaper.

As I don't know much at all of the pecking order of recording software, I'm hoping some of you out there will chime in with some expert advice please. :)

Cheers Ron

I don't really know what LE4 has these days, but I suspect it is far less powerful than reaper. You may prefer the interface of one over the other, so there's no harm in trying both and using the one you prefer.

Sequencer choice is subject; like picking a car.

You have access to both.... try them out and see what works for YOU.

(A sequencer that doesn't fit YOUR workflow will get you discouraged and turned off to getting anything done. But we cant make up YOUR mind....)

there is no LE version of Reaper

If it's a watered down version of the retail software and has serious limitations, to the point I'd need to eventually upgrade it, I think I'll stick with Reaper.
Cheers Ron

that depends on what you need out of the software, but for the most part your statement is true.

Thanks for your comments.

I know it's difficult for you to offer advice when you don't know what the person's ability is or what they hope to achieve.

I was just wondering if someone had tried the Cubase bundled software and was prepared to make a comment on their findings.

It seems though, that my gut feeling that the bundled software would be far less capable of doing what Reaper can, is being confirmed here.

Essentially, I can't see the point of wasting time trying to come to grips with a product that has serious limitations, if that is the case, (hence the post), eventually realising this and having to start all over again with something else! I'd rather channel my efforts into trying to come upto speed with a product that will do what I want and still have a lot of other tricks for later on! :) Ron

I have both Reaper & Cubase LE4, & to me they both have their good points. I'm still learning this whole recording thing, but personally, Reaper is much better than LE4. I use EZ Drummer, & it works in both, but in LE4, there's no option for multi-output in EZ Drummer. That's one big disadvantage, Reaper has an unlimited track count, you can insert as many effects as you like & has unlimited routing. Cubase LE4 is decent (for me anyway), but doesn't have nearly as many options as Reaper. Just my opinion, hope it helps!

I was in the same situation you are recently and I've gone with Reaper. I found it more stable with my system than Cubase LE4 and also more flexible. I like the routing "philosophy" of making tracks synonymous with busses, depending on the way you use them. I like the look of reaper, though having used Cubase for a while, it took some time to find everything and I'm still learning. Coupled with an editor like Wavosaur, it's a very powerful DAW.

I recall reading that C LE had a limited amount of "slots" (4 I think) VSTs that could be used at once. This would therefore be a problem if you use more than a couple of softsynths, softsamplers, and or effects...
Reaper obviously does not have such a limitation...
Suggest you check this out if it is a potential concern.
Rich

Back