Buy a channel strip vs. "building one"

kidkage

Bored of Canada
I'm at that time of year again where I get a summer job and start being stupid and blowing my money on gear :D

I've bought nice amps, guitars, and other goodies, but never took the time to get solid recording equipment. In my ignorance I just got whatever preamp was cheap. Never bought a stand alone compressor.
I just bought the PreSonus Studio Channel but I haven't used it yet :o (My music area is still unusable)
As of now I have: ART Tube MP, M-Audio DMP3, PreSonus Studio Channel.
Equipment that I'm happy with, but you know how it is... there's always something else above and beyond.

Im stuck between trying to dive for a Universal Audio LA610 mkii, or a Grace M101 and FMR RNC.

Advice?

Also, if anyone has other suggestions for a solid, clean, multipurpose chain let me know. (I hear the SM7 requires hella clean preamp gain, and i want to get one eventually)

I'm hoping to stay under a grand and fit in the outboard gear and the SM7.

I'm just weighing options, Focusrite, GAP, ART, things like that

i have a sm7 and never had an issue with the outboard type preamp's, some of the interface pre's were required to go full blast and could get noisy sssshhhhhhissssing.....

never had the pleasure to try the 610 or Grace or Presonus,,,,,

the DMP3/RNC is a nice combo.

I've had good luck with the Joe Meek few units, and a ISA One (which is a dual pre...but then you might need a pad because its got so much gain!) but I cant say in my hobby land they sounded any better than the DMP3/RNC, the channel strips offer some EQ and comp's and pre.

Just saw 2qty Joe Meek One Q's for $375 on CList... tempting..:D

I haven't used the others you mention but I can vouch for the FMR being a solid two channel and completely worth the money. I have an API 512c and to my ears the FMR is every bit just as good. I record a lot of heavy rock/metal for what it is worth.

a Universal Audio LA610 mkii, or a Grace M101 and FMR RNC.

Advice?

Oh dear God.

la610. heaven's, I dunno. but the 610 is imho goign to be easier to use for you which is important at your stage. and it's a better sound imho too with lots of mojo where the grace and fmr are virtually mojo free (but very modern and clean).

kind of different options you presented there...

both good lines htough

Back