Busted C1?

noground

Dumbly, I recorded a 5 hour session of drums using the C1 to close mike the snare and forgot to put the pad on. Afterwards, I could just barely hear the mic clipping off many of the peaks in the recorded snare.

Did you guys think I killed the mic?

(I'd use my ear on this one, but I'm not that used to the sound of this mic)

noground,

Close miking a snare won't hurt the C1. Unfortunately, a decent snare whack contains transients which at close range can reach a dB level (140ish) that may cause the circuitry in the C1 to distort - especially without the pad engaged.

Brent Casey

noground said:
Dumbly, I recorded a 5 hour session of drums using the C1 to close mike the snare and forgot to put the pad on. Afterwards, I could just barely hear the mic clipping off many of the peaks in the recorded snare.

Did you guys think I killed the mic?

(I'd use my ear on this one, but I'm not that used to the sound of this mic)

Thanks for the responses! I'm so glad I didn't break it!

Interesting though, as I remember the manual said strong wind blasts might hurt the mic, I figured this would be the same sort of thing.

Is it because only the circuitry after the diaphragm would be overloading in this case as opposed to bottoming out the diaphragm? I guess it would help if I knew more about how pads work...

If you think about what the pad does, you will realize that it has nothing to so with what the diaphram sees. It mearly reduces the electronic signal that is sent through the circuitry.It does this to the signal which comes "from" the diaphram. It has no effect on the diaphram at all.

Hope this helps, Terry

Back