business hours

coplinger

Those of you who are running professional studios out there: Do you do most of your recording during normal 9-5 business hours or is it mostly evening & weekend work?

my guess is (and only my guess...as i don't have a pro studio)....that a very liberal 9-5 hours would be set to encourage use of business hours, but that most studios in markets other than huge ones like LA or Nashville, would be happy to stretch the hours and weekends for just about anyone who asks.....

think of it from a customer point of view......i work....if they couldn't do it on the weekend would i take off work or find another place that would do it on the weekend.......i'd find another place.......would i tell others about how they wouldn't do it....probably............my opinion would be that if you're in a mid/small sized market, and unless you are the local leading studio, try to do what they want when they want

For me, so far there's been some daytime bookings, but there's a lot more evenings & weekends, though... most musicians have day-jobs....!

Running a studio is not 9-5 if you're both the owner AND engineer.

Business hours for Indie type studio's are usually totally dependant on when the previous customer is finally gone.
If your recording people who work full time jobs until their careers take off, you could have hours from 7pm until 7am.
9 to 5 is really rare, if your in a huge facility where everything clicks perfectly and there its a 3 shift operation..maybe. I would start by first figuring out when the customers can come in and then go from there. Doing it alone means burning the candle at both ends alot of the times, sleeping at the studio on the floor or where ever you can when ever you can. Its possible to have 1 customer come in for 6 hours of overdubs and then spend the next 10 hrs getting drums set up and miked for another client. The frustrating part is balancing the open blocks with little projects. Maybe talk to other studio's who have gone through that growth period. Starting a Studio is like giving birth..lots of painful labor..but well worth it once your baby is walking on its own ;) If you want a 9 to 5 job, Mastering is more accomodating. Good luck.

SoMm

The only recording I have done (and I am not a pro) has been after dark on the weekdays and on mostly saturdays. That is when the workin man can comune together and record their cheap demo, or when the local high school calls and wants to record their fall concert at 8:00 at night (and I have fallen asleep at one of these).

Back