Bus or Aux

rjt

Okay, I've been doing my reading.... and looking at Sonar 3.... However, what is the difference between using a Bus vs using an Aux?

Thanks in advance

Take Care

rjt said:
However, what is the difference between using a Bus vs using an Aux?
A Bus can be used as an Aux in the "normal way", like you have a reverb on a Bus, you an add a certain amount to it on another track.

But it can also be used to "group" tracks together. Say you have 5 drum-tracks (kick, snar, hi-hat and so on) and you want one fader to control them all. That's easy: Just set the tracks outputs to a Bus. :)

An aux feeds a 'bus' of it's own , so in that respect they're the same. But the 'aux' arangement gives you a second layer of volume control (sends) independent of the track volume.
Is that what you were getting at?
Wayne

First, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I still don't get it.... kinda dense I guess. Can't you route a bunch of individual tracks to an Aux and do the same thing as a bus? When I look at the controls etc. they look exactly alike..... You can route individual tracks or percentages of tracks to a bus or aux, that can be rerouted else where..... so how are they different. Perhaps an example where you could only use a bus and one where you would be better using an aux?

Take Care

Yeah, they are the same in that they can both gather and send, to there own sound card outs or all feed the same out.
Still it seems like the main difference is that the aux adds a second mix.
Track faders set up a primary mix.
The aux sends set up a new mix. Monitor miixes, reverb sends.
But i Guess you could just as soon send your main mix out something called a master aux out, and patch you verbs to something called a bus.

I didn't do that too well did i?

:D

They looked the same to me. Like you could do anything with auxs that you could with busses..... e.g., do a ubmix to aux1 and a submix to aux2 and route them to aux3 for reverb etc. Just curious if that was correct.... thanks for the reply.

Take Care

This is where I get stuck as well....

First off I have a RME Multiface.... I have one bus where all of my music gets routed through as the final fader (where can I route more in ?????)

In sonar I use the Aux sends and the final Bus effects for everything.. Compression for example gets routed to Aux 1 for vocal treatment on Post.......The music gets routed to Aux two on Post for some eq after the tacks are equed on there own... They both get mixed into my Bus A which = Output Mix...

Can someone enlighten my mind on how to group tracks into sets as Moskus had mentioned... EXa.. Drums one set, pads, another, string sets, etc...

Thanks..

I think the way to group tracks is to route say all the drum tracks to BusA, pads to BusB etc. Each individual track can have it's own eq, compression, effects etc. or if you are going to use the same effect/eq setting etc, you can just patch that in on the bus. That way if you have an arrangement of say drums and you want the overall drums louder... just raise the volume of the bus, instead of each individual drum track.

Take Care

Re: This is where I get stuck as well....

Bstage said:
First off I have a RME Multiface.... I have one bus where all of my music gets routed through as the final fader (where can I route more in ?????)...
Can someone enlighten my mind on how to group tracks into sets as Moskus had mentioned... EXa.. Drums one set, pads, another, string sets, etc... Thanks..

If the RME only has one digi-out, that would be the only one available -but, you can have more than one 'V-main' bus. (If you have a multi-output card, you have options to output V-mains for other reasons as well. Like using a second pair for external effects...) With a single-out card all the V-mains all show the same sound card out.
At the track output assign box, you can stear a group of tracks to one of these extra V-mains to do master control or effects to just those tracks.
The gotcha is that if two v-mains are both near max,neither meter will show the true combined output.

In sonar I use the Aux sends and the final Bus effects for everything.. Compression for example gets routed to Aux 1 for vocal treatment on Post.......The music gets routed to Aux two on Post for some eq after the tacks are equed on there own... They both get mixed into my Bus A which = Output Mix...

I might be missunderstanding. It reads like you are mixing a compressed, and an uncompressed, and an eq'd and another eq'd versions together.(?)
Wayne

Re: Re: This is where I get stuck as well....

mixsit said:
If the RME only has one digi-out, that would be the only one available -but, you can have more than one 'V-main' bus. (If you have a multi-output card, you have options to output V-mains for other reasons as well. Like using a second pair for external effects...) With a single-out card all the V-mains all show the same sound card out.
At the track output assign box, you can stear a group of tracks to one of these extra V-mains to do master control or effects to just those tracks.
The gotcha is that if two v-mains are both near max,neither meter will show the true combined output.

I might be missunderstanding. It reads like you are mixing a compressed, and an uncompressed, and an eq'd and another eq'd versions together.(?)
Wayne

Ya I worded that wrong.... I am trying to find the least CPU draining method to record with.... At this point I use only one main fo my overall output.. I need instruction on how to route from the seperate tracks and aux tracks into the V-Main then routing into the final Buss....

Thanks..

Hi,

All I have been doing is this -

1. Insert however many new busses or aux busses you will need.
2. Rename one of these as MASTER
3. Set the output to of MASTER to the output connected up to your card/monitors.
4. Set the individual group busses to output to the MASTER bus.
5. Set the AUX busses to return either to the MASTER or to the specific group bus.

That gives me groups like DRUMS, BASS, GUITAR, ELECTRIC and VOCALS -- each containing 2-4 tracks -- which then output to the MASTER bus.

Hope that helps.

Q.

Qwerty said:
Hi,

3. Set the output to of MASTER to the output connected up to your card/monitors.
5. Set the AUX busses to return either to the MASTER or to the specific group bus.

That gives me groups like DRUMS, BASS, GUITAR, ELECTRIC and VOCALS -- each containing 2-4 tracks -- which then output to the MASTER bus.

Hope that helps.

Q.

Where is the output selection on the new busses???.. Can you cover how to create these.... Thanks

Qwerty said:
Hi,

Hope that helps.

Q.

Where is the output selection on the new busses???.. Can you cover how to create these.... Thanks

In the example above, go to the MASTER bus, drag it open so you can see the little bits with the "I" and another one with the "O" in them.

Input and Output

Point the "O" to wherever you want your final 'output' to be.

Make sense?

Q.

Qwerty said:
In the example above, go to the MASTER bus, drag it open so you can see the little bits with the "I" and another one with the "O" in them.

Input and Output

Point the "O" to wherever you want your final 'output' to be.

Make sense?

Q.

AFFIRMATIVE.. Thank you kind sir..

Back