Burning CDs on the Mac w iTunes?!

EveningSky

Who has experience burning mastered CDs on the Mac.
I have been using DP4 to master, importing into iTunes, and then burning CDs with iTunes.
I feed both 16b and 24b sound in AIF format into iTunes.
My problem is that the CD often sounds different to my ears than my song in DP4.
Does the CD burning program influence the music on the CD?
Is the creation of a CD a standard process or do different software products "do it differently?"
Should I consider a different dedicated CD creation program?
I would appreciate any insight into this important step in audioproduction from the HomeRecording readers.
Yours,
EveningSky

I use it and haven't had any problems. To burn to an audio CD, the file will have to be 16-bit, so if you're importing 24-bit files and trying to burn them, I-tunes is probably doing the conversion and possibly not very well. You're better off only putting 16-bit files in to begin with. Second, check the audio format settings on your I-Tunes and make sure it's not defaulted to MP3. If that's the case, it's likely converting any files you drag in there to MP3 format.

AlexW said:
I use it and haven't had any problems. To burn to an audio CD, the file will have to be 16-bit, so if you're importing 24-bit files and trying to burn them, I-tunes is probably doing the conversion and possibly not very well. You're better off only putting 16-bit files in to begin with. Second, check the audio format settings on your I-Tunes and make sure it's not defaulted to MP3. If that's the case, it's likely converting any files you drag in there to MP3 format.

Thank you AlexW,
I have thought of those issues and addressed them.
There is also an iTunes setting which automatically adjusts sound level.
I turned that off.
I still perceived that I have a problem and that sound levels change during conversion to the CD.
I still perceive that some "harshness" is introduced into my recordings.
Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I think.
I am curious if other users have a similar impression and exerience and what they did to correct this.
Yours, ES

What happens if you upload audio from a commercial audio CD and then burn that? Do you notice the same thing?

Back