Burn the Cathedral

Nice little song. A little pitchy on the vocals in places. The recording sounds real thin and distant, both instrument and vocals. How far from the mic, and what mic/preamp? Sounds like a few feet. This may be just because you have no room treatment, or at least it sounds like you have none. That would give it that hollow echoish sound. Also, the song is completely lacking in the low end. It needs a bass line or some low end guitar or something to fill it out. Like the song though.

yeah, I'm using a cheap mic and my pop filter is not at my house so it's very difficult to get a good recording of any vocals. Pitch problems are for the same reason, it's hard to actually record them with my limited setup. All my stuff is at my band's practice space. Same reason I have no bass line on it or any percussion to speak of.

I've been listening to it back for the last few hours, and I'm hearing a lot of what you're talking about. There are things I have to do, but I need a break from it for right now at least.

Thanks for the comments. I'll re-post whenever I edit it, maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. Thanks again.

This is really cool, I like it. While you can obviously hear the limitations of the recording imposed by your setup, it kind of works for the song. You hear lots of indie bands record songs like this on purpose. Very cool, keep it up.

Matt

This is really cool, I like it. While you can obviously hear the limitations of the recording imposed by your setup, it kind of works for the song. You hear lots of indie bands record songs like this on purpose. Very cool, keep it up.

Matt
Vocals sound better in the new mix. It still has a real "lo-fi" sound which can be fine as mentioned above. Sounds to me like with some room treatment and a little better mic, your sound would improve a lot. By the way, what is the instrument you're strumming? Is it a ukelele? I honestly can't tell for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments, glad you guys like it.

And yeah I need to get some of my stuff soon, especially my mics. I have 3 sm57s, and 1 sm58. I usually use 2 mics for recording anything, but unfortunately I'm stuck using an old Radioshack IMP500 Dynamic mic. For how shitty it is, I've gotten a decent sound with effects processing and trying different ways of singing not directly into it to remove pops and keep the bass resonance to a minimum.

I think I understand what you mean by "room treatment", as in adding room reverb, which I added a large room at about 30% wet, 70% dry. If there is anything else that would bring the sound out more, I'd like to know, I finally got the song to sound not-so-thin by bringing up the lower to low-mid range.

Both "guitars" are Banjo parts. I'm using this old Epiphone Recording banjo from like 1935. I'm not positive how old it is to the exact year, but it was made sometime between 1930 and 1939. It was my great grandfathers. Really nice piece of equipment with some interesting history.

Well thanks for the comments, let me know if you hear anything else or any tips on how to improve it.

I'm going to be adding violins and some percussion to it hopefully today if my friend is off work, so I'll repost it whenever thats up or if I have a new mix. Thanks again.

By room treatment, I was not talking about reverb. I mean bass traps in the corner wall ceiling junctions and broadband absorption/diffusion treatment at first reflection points. Read up on it here on this site, or google broadband absorption. It will help your room sound better, and make it a lot easier to get a good mix. I made all my own, and it probably ended up costing a few hundred bucks, but it's well worth it. It will improve your sound way more than any new gear you can buy for that amount.

Ah, okay. I just didn't understand the term. I did research on all of that years ago, made some lists and wrote down how to make some of that stuff. I don't have the money to spend on that right now, but I actually have been planning on making some buffers from wood, cork board and foam. Mainly I need to buy a mixer as soon as I can, and pick up my mics, stands and cables.

This site was great for finding all that out as well. I want to build basically a box to surround a mic in front of an amp, and maybe even a recording booth itself, but I don't have the room to fit the booth so the box is the first step. I recently moved my computer upstairs out of my basement due to mildew and just not really pleasant conditions, so I'm limited on space until I can get down and clean the place out.

Thanks for the advice.

Cool :)!

Bango and the ahhhh...ahhhh vocals sound really nice. Not so big on the distorted guitar. Hard to discern the vocals during some parts. Would love to hear this with the violins and percussion you mention as the whole thing is mid-rangey and those additions might add some dynamics. I dunno though, it is pretty cool as is. Kind of small sounding - but some great energy to whole thing nonetheless. Very different in a nice way :cool:.

Thanks, glad you like it. The electric guitar is actually another banjo part with some effects on it to make it sound distorted. Hopefully I'll be able to add the violins and percussion today or tomorrow.

Okay, new mix is here for download:

http://www.4shared.com/file/135992282/ba6c586f/Burn_the_Cathedral__MASTER___5_.html

goto myspace.com/agentofmonaco to hear it in a lower shitty quality if you don't feel like downloading it.

I also have a new version of an older song here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/135992355/9064d9b6/Wha_chu_Got__Master_.html

Also goto myspace.com/agentofmonaco to listen to it in a lower quality.

I recommend both since the music is good, and I've tried my hardest to improve the lyrics and lead vocal melodies.

Both songs have new lyrics here, there and everywhere, unless you posted before, and have the older versions of these songs, you won't notice the difference and you'll have the best version I've completed with these downloads/streams.

Tell me what you think. Thanks in advance for anyone who bothers to comment, because I may not check this for awhile, or I might respond tomorrow, you never know.

Back