Bundle discount?

ChristopherM

When selling CDs and merchandise at gigs, has anyone tried the "bundle discount" theory? Like maybe charging $10 for a CD, $10 for a shirt, or $15 for both? Maybe $10 for your new CD and only $5 more if they buy your last one at the same time?

I'm thinking of trying this when fall comes. I've got a source that can silkscreen t-shirts for about $3 each (good ones too...) so adding a shirt for $5 still yeilds a bit of profit. Also, my last CD is a bit long-in-the-tooth now and I'm thinking of offering it for $5 with purchase of the new CD.

Thoughts?

hey man, My band is playing our first gig of the year tonight in LA. This is a start of a bunch of shows for us and we also have T's and 2 different cd's for sale. We are doing the bundle thing with the cd's, they are $5 a piece or you can buy both for $8. HAvent thought of adding a T into the mix. good idea. hopefully we will sell some shit. Where do you get your t's printed??? thanks man, the dude.

We bought a bunch of mini pizza boxes, printed labels for them and created a homemade box set of our 2 CD's. We sell them for $25 at shows. They seem to sell pretty well, on a par with single CD sales.

On last year's tour we had a deal where people could get my 3 song sampler and my brother's book for 10 bucks. It was only 1 dollar off the normal price, but tons of people went for it. You could argue that they may have bought both anyways, but I think the selling point was the nice round number. I don't know why this is so semantically important for people, but they really will spend $10 much more easily than $11, or $15 over $16. If you can work digits to your advantage like that, I think it's an excellent technique.

By the way Christopher, I've found that t-shirts are horrible sellers. If you can have them made in a small quantity (like 100 or less) then it's worth it. You'll sell them all eventually, but if you have to invest a lot to have the t-shirts made I would advise against it. With the bargain price you're suggesting, however, you may have better luck than I have had.

Peter

ChristopherM said:
When selling CDs and merchandise at gigs, has anyone tried the "bundle discount" theory? Like maybe charging $10 for a CD, $10 for a shirt, or $15 for both? Maybe $10 for your new CD and only $5 more if they buy your last one at the same time?

I'm thinking of trying this when fall comes. I've got a source that can silkscreen t-shirts for about $3 each (good ones too...) so adding a shirt for $5 still yeilds a bit of profit. Also, my last CD is a bit long-in-the-tooth now and I'm thinking of offering it for $5 with purchase of the new CD.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good stratagy. Mike Rabon of "The Five Americans"
( Rock band from the 60's) told me when they were getting started they worked up special techniques for sales. But the big thing was when they released "Western Union" he got the idea to put the 45RPM's in "gold sleves".

He got the idea while doing a interview 1 time at a AM station while looking at a whole roll of black and white sleved 45's. He told me it actully got them more air play. A visual thing.
Man times have changed. The Mini pizza Box is a great idea. Originality is the necessity of getting on the top. Conflict and contraversy also get attention.

Kenny Chesney's career got a big boost when He and Tim McGraw got front page exposure for the fight they got into with the cops after Kenny had permission to ride the cops horse and 1/2 block down the road got pulled from it by another cop.

Lucky conflict I guess

D

Back