Bulls on Parade: Is it REAL?

ecktronic

Mixing and Mastering.
I have made a cover of Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine.
Your challenge should you accept it is to work out which version is which.

BUT NO Cheating by using the album version or looking at the waves in any way! :)

Here is Mix A:

Here is Mix B:

This was a tough challenge to try and replicate a song, especially such a well known and well produced song, I am happy with it but I wish it was better.

Sounds great so far. Are we going to get to hear the whole thing?

Mix A is your version. I could tell right away without even listening to Mix B (which I eventually did just to be sure it wasn't a trick!). Yours sounds really good. There's just more of a roomy sound to the guitars and the bass and kick don't pop quite like they do on the original.

Really close though and while I don't personally enjoy trying to replicate songs so much, I am often impressed by how close homerecordists will come...

Mix B is RATM's version.

Mix a is really good. Bright and clear sounding.

Is there going to be a rest of it eventualy?

Sounds great so far. Are we going to get to hear the whole thing?

Mix A is your version. I could tell right away without even listening to Mix B (which I eventually did just to be sure it wasn't a trick!). Yours sounds really good. There's just more of a roomy sound to the guitars and the bass and kick don't pop quite like they do on the original.

Really close though and while I don't personally enjoy trying to replicate songs so much, I am often impressed by how close homerecordists will come...

Thank you for the kudos heatmiser. Unfortunately I am only posting this part for now.

I was struggling to get the kick to pump the same way as the original. And I couldn't quite get that snare snap (and room ambience) as good also.
The low mids of the bass and the high mids of the guitars were very tricky to try and get similar.

I did my best and I didn't think I would really be able to fool anyone but I am still happy with the results.

Thanks very much for taking time to listen and comment.
Send me a PM if you post in the MP3 clinic and I will return the favour.

PS: This version was recorded a semi tone higher than the original so I pitch shifted the Mix down a semi tone :D

Cheers,
G

Mix B is RATM's version.

Mix a is really good. Bright and clear sounding.

Is there going to be a rest of it eventualy?

Sorry I don't have vocals for my version so I wanted to stop it just before the vocals came in :)
Thank you for listening and glad you like it.

G

I may try and get closer to the original, it is a challenge! I know the low and low mids need working a good bit at least.

I'd say B is clearly the real version in my opinion. It's deeper yet tighter in the bottom end and less harsh. B sounds like a professional mix.

I'd say B is clearly the real version in my opinion. It's deeper yet tighter in the bottom end and less harsh.
Thanks for listening Greg,
Yeah I am trying to get depth from the low end without messing up the rest of the mix. As I mentioned the low mids are not great in mine.
The bass guitar is a tad harsh in the high mids and same with the snare, I am trying to smooth this out more like the original.

I could tell mix A was yours as soon as I heard the snare hit.

Nice job though!

lol. The snare sound is all over the place, I had 4 recorded snare tracks then I also added the RATM snare sample at the start, which is a Flam rather than a normal clean 1 hit :D

Cheers Crow,
G

Back