Built my first Bass Trap. Will It work??

stoctony

I have finally started on the traps which I have been studying from John sayers and Ethan Winer forever. Heres the deal. I only have one and I cant tell if it works. Or can I?? I need to know if the dimensions are big enough. I have a 12X14 room and am doing solo acoustic. It will be recording and listening room. Thanks in advance for the help.

Stockton

Last edited:
Stockton, you gave info on the stuffing, but what's the rest of the trap made of? Plywood, chicken wire, jello, MDF, the drawing doesn't say - if you can include more details on construction it would help.

Also, only one trap will make changes in a room, but possibly not enough to be able to hear a marked difference in the sound -

Plus, where the trap is located (and which principle it works on) has a large effect on performance as well.

More data please... Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. It has a Wood frame. Covering the front, i took the advice of Ethan and covered it with card board. I then covered the cardboard with fabric. I then pulled all the fiberglass tight to the back of the cardboard with more fabric. I ended up with about 8 inches of insulation. I didntr seal the back as it will be sealed by the wall when I put it in. I will try to fix the attach. to show the fiberglass

Yeah, well that and i have a crap load of batting in the attic. No, its extra, im not just taking it out of the trusses.....well, until I run out!!

"I didntr seal the back as it will be sealed by the wall when I put it in" - say what? Just exactly where are you planning on placing this, and what do you expect out of it?

What's your general location, maybe I can scare up a source of rigid fiberglass... Steve

Stocton,

> I cant tell if it works. Or can I?? <

Probably not. The good news is large amounts of fiberglass in the corners always helps. But you need more than just one corner.

--Ethan

Steve, thanks for the help. I am planing on screwing it to the corner which is drywall(sheetrock). Should I have the whole thing sealed as one piece and then put it to the wall. I thought only resinators had to be sealed. Maybe im wrong. OK yeah I probably am. I found some rigid Fiberglass through a buddy of mine who has a HVAC shop. This stuff doesnt have backing on it.

Ethan, thank you as usual. Quick question. should I seal the whole thing and jam pack it with insulation or do I need an air gap behind it. Also, would the blown in insulation work for this. its not fiberglass, i think it is actually shreded news paper and stuff. But with 12 inches of it, it works really well for heat excape. Just wondering. Basicly what i have is a 8 ft long triangle. should I just stuff the thing as much as i can and have the wave come through the card baord in front and be absorbed by the stuffing(whatever it may be) Do I have the basic Idea. One more. will that card board reflect highs? thanks all

tony

Tony,

> should I seal the whole thing <

No, there's nothing to seal.

> would the blown in insulation work for this. its not fiberglass <

I have no idea. Does this stuff have acoustical specs?

> should I just stuff the thing as much as i can <

Yes.

> will that card board reflect highs? <

I suggest you get a piece of cardboard and "talk into" it. You'll have your answer quick enough.

--Ethan

OHH GREAT ETHAN. You are the man. is there anything you dont know about acoustics. Not that all the other guys aren't really good. But I honestly dont think this forum would have nearly the sucess it has with out you winsdom. I cant say it enough. thank you for all your help. PS. definetly expext more questions as I go through my "journey" of fine tuning my studio. gotta go...I have 3 more bass traps to make.

Thanks again. All you guys rock!!

Tony

Back