built in a/d converters

dr.colossus

Something that strikes me as being odd is the a-d converters in a lot of "prosumer" gear. Lets take the m-audio tampa for instance, one would imagine the converters would be somewhat similar to those in m-audio soundcards, so if you had both, aside froma short cable run what's the big deal?

Lets say you had a tampa and a digidesign interface, would'nt you be better off using the converters in the digidesign?

Am i missing the point here, are these Built in/add on converters (like focusrite platinum, tampa, tla) a lot better than those in something like an audiophile 24/96?

There's no way there is a real difference. The Tampa is already a pre and a comp for like $300 something.

I've never understood that stuff myself. I think it is just a marketing gimmick that makes it look good because you can sort of just add it on as an extra channel using SPDIF, which the "prosumer" peeps would otherwise have no use for at all.

Notice how the Audiophile only has a few analog ins and outs, but still has SPDIF?

I've never heard those the converter but theoretically they maybe better because:

1. Not inside a hostile environment like a PC

2. Has a solid power source not a flaky PCI bus giving power

Teacher said:
I've never heard those the converter but theoretically they maybe better because:

1. Not inside a hostile environment like a PC

2. Has a solid power source not a flaky PCI bus giving power

Definitely #1,once your signal has been digitised,it stays the same unless you choose to change it,you can't say the same for analog.
I just bought a Tampa because of the digital output,this way I can isolate my preamp from all those nasty electrical nuisances.

Notice how the Audiophile only has a few analog ins and outs, but still has SPDIF?
That's what makes it so inexspensive,you need a seperate A/D converter for each channel going in,if you wanted 4 analog inputs it would cost more $$$.

Back