Building DAW with two computers?!?

Hallatar

I have AMD Athlon 1000mhz, 512mb ram, two 30gb hard drives and audiophile 2496. I'm going to buy a new computer within few years. Should I keep the old one? I've heard that people have two computers for DAW but how? What software should I install to new one? Where I install my samples, Cubase and Gigastudio? How should I connect two computers? Send me a link or give some beginner FAQ about this subject.

Tapani S.

"within a few years"

Kinda vague to me in an industry that changes completely every few months (the prosumer side of it anyways)

As far as linking PCs... Cubase SX has it's system link out now, looks interesting, but haven't tried it yet.

Herwig

Well as much of a nightmare as one computer can be I have know idea why two would be justefiably useful. You would want to have them connected on 100mbit ethernet connection for file sharing at a speed that won't drive you crazy.

I would suggest two hard drives as opposed to two computers, use one specificaly for storing your wav's and such. Make one comp. a dedicated DAW and use the other for games, internet and the like.

Your current setup seems more than capable for doing audio recoding.

-Angermeyer

DeadPoet said:
"within a few years"

Kinda vague to me in an industry that changes completely every few months (the prosumer side of it anyways)

As far as linking PCs... Cubase SX has it's system link out now, looks interesting, but haven't tried it yet.

Herwig

Yeah I know. When I got the money then I start to think what hardware I'll get. Now I just want to know the basics of the idea of two computers.

Has Cubase SX that kind of feature? I'll check that out...

Back