Building a small 'isolation room'

P-J

Rank Amateur
Hi all,

I'm sure this information resides somewhere but I'm damned if I can find it. I'd like to build a small room in my garage to set up a drum kit so I can play it without waking the neighbours. It's not for recording so acoustics and whatnot are not of any concern.

It needs to be big enough to house a small drum kit with a few stands, say about 8' x 6' or similar.

In the garage, there is a hardstanding (concrete) floor which I presume is of some help?

Anyway, what I need to know is how to go about getting some reasonable isolation on a budget that doesn't stretch to prefab'd rooms. Essentially the goal is to make it so people in their houses can't hear it. The garage is about 30ft from our house (and other houses).

I really just need to know what the best method is of getting enough isolation to turn the drum set into a 'dull thud' from a distance. Before coming here I presumed building a timber frame (similar to the way you'd build a house) which sits a few inches from the ground and then using plasterboard (I think you guys call it drywall) with some kind of acoustic absorption material built in would suffice but there seem to be a lot of ways to crack this nut.

Like I said, I'm not aiming for silence, just to reduce it to a thud :)

Any advice much appreciated :)

Float a floor and build the walls on top of it. Put in your own ceiling. Don't have any part of that structure touching the garage structure. Double drywall the insides of the room and use Green Glue between layers. Caulk everything. Use all surface mount conduit for any electrical and lighting. Use a solid core wood door with sill plate and seals.

That's about as good as you'll get without going crazy. If you DIY all the construction yourself, it can be a relatively inexpensive solution that works very well.

Bryan

Thanks for the info.

Could you tell me more about this 'green glue'? Being from the UK the name isn't familiar, just wondered if you can tell me what the brand name/make up is.

//edit : Never mind, I found it with about 10 seconds of Googling. I really should try harder :)

Last edited:
Back