Building a PC- profiles requested.

faithmonster

Greets to all.

I'm requesting advice and profiles on PC builds for dedicated home recording and mixing- so if you have a system combo that works great, please send me your info. I already have a P III 500mHz processor and a 12G Maxtor drive, and Cakewalk Pro Audio ver.9/CoolEdit Pro software.

Thanks muches
Faithmonster

Too many possible combinations here...

Do you JUST have the processor and hard drive, or are they in a system already?

Slackmaster 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slackmaster2K:
Too many possible combinations here...

Do you JUST have the processor and hard drive, or are they in a system already?

Slackmaster 2000
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Slackmaster2K

All I have are the pieces- I got the processor from a nephew of mine,it's not a celeron, and the drive from a bud who needed some cash fast and it's still in it's box.
Need a motherboard- sounds like the I440BX
would do it.

Mark aka the Faithmonster

First of all, you need to check out that 12GB hard drive. You need a UDMA drive that's spinning at LEAST 5400RPM....7200RPM is much better how ever, I'm just talking bare necessities.

Second, the i440BX is a chipset, not a motherboard. A motherboard with an i440BX chipset will suite you just fine... especially since the i820 is such a let down.
LOTS of choices here...I'd recommend www.abit-usa.com and www.asus.com

Finally, you need everything else. You got the processor & possibly the hard drive... the rest of your system will run you a couple hundred bucks.

Case w/250W PS = $30 (www.componentsdirect.com)
Case fan = $15
CPU fan (get a dual fan) = $9
128MB PC133 or PC100 = $100
Good BX based mobo = $120
4MB AGP video card = $40 or less
Soundcard?? ($30 - $1000)
17" Monitor = $220
40X CDROM = $40
CDRW???? ($180)
Floppy = $25

= $600+ with no soundcard & no external storage.

Good luck!

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks to everybody responding to my posts.
Hopefully soon I'll be able to post a pix
of my DAW and studio(if my wife will let me
use that extra bedroom...)

le faythmonsteur

[This message has been edited by faithmonster (edited 02-29-2000).]

Thanks Slackmaster2K.

I didn't get hurt too bad on the drive- it is a UDMA, and 5400rpm. Thanks for the list and links. Hopefully, wife willing and credit cards able I'll have a good basic system to work with. After all I let her buy all that "arts and crafts" stuff she likes...

'preciate it(Okie style :-)
Mark aka das faithmonstere

As for the motherboard I would recemend the ASUS P3C 2000 I think. It takes the slot 1 pentiums and has 133 FSB. I just got one for 155 online. Goto yahoo shopping and go from there, I think. Anyway, the motherboard is the best of the best, at least I think so.

mike

Back