building a mic carrying case

kristian

do any of you have an idea for building a carrying case for microphones if you were doing remote recording? like i live in austin but my drummer lives in houston, ive just got a hold of some mics used without cases and was thinking of finding some old case used somewhere and somehow trying to fit foam to them. is there some sort of spray stuff that you can use to mould the shape to?

You can find some cool cases at hardware stores, or Wall-Mart, places like that. Most of what I've seen is made out of metal-looking plastic and stuff, But they are filled with foam. The foam has square perferations all in it, and you can remove what you need to make partitions. I was loking for one in Wall-Mart just the other day, I had seen them in there a while back, but no luck this time. My old roomate got one from a hardware store- I think they are <$20.

you get all Martha Stewart and get some styrofoam and some plush fabric (a fake fur case would be really cool) and make up something. You can cut the styrofoam up into a shape that would hold the mic and then line it with the fabric. Styrofoam is easy to cut, you just need a hot wire basically, it cuts like butter. You can buy one "magic cutting wand" at a crafts store, or just go and look at one then make your own with a wire, a small rod and a D battey, like this kid in the scuplture department at VCU did. (he need a really big one, he used a bigger battery I think) Hmmm... that's kind like Martha Stewart mixed with McGuyver.... :D

-jhe

Back