Building a Fire

Hiya Monkey Allen, the second mix is a better mix than the first for that type of reason, you heard it, you thought about it, you dealt with it, it sounds better.

I agree totally that monitoring is a big variable in what we're all hearing or not. As for critical listening, I refer the honourable gentleman to what I wrote above in my previous post (that's a UK Parliament reference! not that I'm a member of Parliament).

There are a few little things I think will improve the mix further that aren't too difficult to achieve and don't rely on super duper monitors to hear. Listen to the first 12 seconds, cymbals specifically. You start with 2 hits on a hi-hat then a crash, continue on with the hi-hat for seven bars and at 9 seconds in you have 4 open hi-hat hits and the crash again. If you look at those four hi-hat hits they are all pretty flat in volume, I would have, slightly, raised their volume over the 4 hits (carefully, not too much not too little) and had the crash louder (and continue on from there).

Is that the kind of thing you want to know? or am I way off.
Yeah for sure HP, I'd really like to know that kind of thing and anything else you'd like to suggest. Do you think there's also a lot of crowding in the low end? Naturally, I'd love to make changes where I can to make it better and to learn for next time as well otherwise I'll just keep making these kinds of mixes that don't quite make it.

As far as monitoring, I have a DIY treated room, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser DH600's and Sony MDR7506....I'm juggling mixing between all...sounding good and crisp in the 600's can sound too harsh in the Sony's...not crisp enough in the Sonys can sound dull in the 600's. That's the kind of tail chasing I engage in here. It doesn't help that going from one headphone to another on the fly like that is probably like sticking your hand in a bucket of hot water followed by cold etc. I listen my mixes on laptops and a phone too. It's all very workmanlike or rudimentary. I mean the gear I have is very nice but the room is DIY treated etc.

I don't want to feel like I'm bugging you...you can check out any time you like ;)

...but yeah, whatever else you have on this track and or suggestions for improving it from where it is now would be awesome.

Thank you!

EDIT: I've just seen your post above and your recaps on what you said before and your additions...so I'll use what you've already suggested and take it from there again.

Specifically on reworking the reverb...the original mix had no reverb at all on drums or BU Vox and only a bit of spring on vocals. So you reckon another look at those areas specifically with reverb would be a good start?

Hey dobro, I feel like I'm the one being swamped here!

So you're not a beginner mixer but looking for the next level, you may be mixing at a higher level than me already!

I doubt it.

I'm completely ITB now by the way (in case you were wondering).

If you read back over the various posts, I think I've answered what you're asking about already:

"Take another listen to the balance, it's off everywhere. Rethink the focus, for me get that snare cracking and bring it forward (along with the whole drum kit maybe). Eq needs tweaking and open up the whole thing by reworking the reverb. Let the song take off and fly don't clamp it down to the ground!"

and then:

"In answer to dobro, everything I did was on the master bus (for the reason Monkey explained, no tracks/stems for me) using EQ, 2 compressors (1 single band and 1 multiband compressing in places and expanding in others), reverb and saturation, basically all smoke and mirrors. Nothing was done in M/S (in case you were wondering)"

Too general maybe? Those comments weren't supposed to be mix notes! :-)

Those comments weren't too general, but they were macro. I wanted to know a more micro level.

This won't help you one little bit because what I did wasn't mixing! (at best 'maybe' some kind of re-mastering) but here goes anyway:

Opened a session in my DAW.

Loaded the stereo file, played it and listened.

The first thing I heard was the levels being off and 'mud', then it lacked width, energy and excitement beyond it being a good catchy song.

EQ, applied an instance of Pro-Q3 and adjusted the EQ as necessary to clear out mud and add clarity, I will have boosted the highs but can't remember exactly where or at what level.

Applied a TR5 SSL Style Bus Compressor, selected the 'The Glue' preset (should I explain why?) and, I think, adjusted the release time from 0.1 to 0.3 seconds (or maybe not, I can't remember but it seems like the kind of thing I would do) and played around with the threshold.

This settles the debate as to what comes first, the EQ or the compressor. Always EQ into the compressor, unless it's needed the other way around. See, settled.

That's my way too. But it's a lot like the which way to load toilet paper debate.

The low end felt pretty empty so I applied an instance of Brainworx bx_subsynth (some people don't like it but I do and I'm right). I can't remember the exact settings I used but I do remember I couldn't add as much as I wanted to. If I was mixing this I would have the bass more present in the mix.

That's what Kevin said, too. What I noticed was the bass was there, but only just. So I think you're both right.

For different reasons I introduced two instances of Pro-MB (a bit excessive isn't it) the first to try and raise some frequencies in the mix and tame various level spikes that still existed in the mix at different frequencies and create some energy in the mix, and one was used at a specific frequency range to try and tame the guitar I mentioned in another post (or they may have been used the other way around but I don't think so).

Introduced a second instance of Pro-Q3 to attend to EQ issues that were introduced by using the compressors.

I've never done this. Interesting.

I then added an instance of Cinematic Rooms Professional Reverb (a bit pricey but worth every penny, I love it!) to a parallel channel.

It *is* pricey. You use Pro-Q3 and Pro-MB, so you must know about Pro-R. It's my only verb these days (and I used to use Lexi verbs and Valhalla exclusively) because it's great, and because I'm into that 'learn your tools' thing you talk about.

Route the mix channel to the parallel channel additionally not exclusively (we know that right).

No, I'm not familiar with that one. I put the reverb on a bus, 100% wet, and then dial in the send amount to taste.

I selected the 'Ambiences - Hall Ambience' setting on 100% wet and made no adjustments to the reverb in terms of decay time etc. (although I might have brightened up the high end a bit) and adjusted the fader on the reverb channel down to a level I was happy with (and without starting a debate, I know that technically having the reverb in series and adjusting the wet/dry knob would yield the same result as having it in parallel but that's how I did it).

By the way, you might use terms like 'send' and 'return' and 'aux' but I don't as I know what I mean, especially when I'm talking to myself 😉.

Printed the file (I have a limiter on the master but I don't think it was doing anything) and shut down the session.

I think I said I got what I did to about 30% of where I think the mix should be. I may have exaggerated but it doesn't matter. It got Monkey thinking

and me...

and he moved his mix on. In all honesty I still think it's a relatively weak mix (sorry Monkey but a great song!) that could be improved step by step with even small tweaks here and there but none of this will help anyone in any way as I WASN'T MIXING, it was all smoke and mirrors as I said before (see, talking to myself).

I don't know if it's smoke and mirrors. Like I said, if you got that improvement just working the stereo mixdown, think what could have been done at a mix level.

Is this what you had in mind?

What would you do?

I'd've put Greg Wells Mixcentric on the sucker and dialed in a modest improvement. 8-)

Disclaimer: If I have left something out, it wasn't done intentionally (I've seen this written at the end of stuff before so it must be important). I talk funny sometimes too.

I've replied at length because you went to the trouble of explaining your process at length, but mostly I just want to say two things:

* Thank you. That was very useful.

* I'm returning to your macro level now.

Really appreciate it. Satisfaction like this isn't often found on the internet.

As far as monitoring, I have a DIY treated room, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser DH600's and Sony MDR7506....I'm juggling mixing between all...sounding good and crisp in the 600's can sound too harsh in the Sony's...not crisp enough in the Sonys can sound dull in the 600's. That's the kind of tail chasing I engage in here. It doesn't help that going from one headphone to another on the fly like that is probably like sticking your hand in a bucket of hot water followed by cold etc.

I bet you'd reduce the suffering if you plumped for one set of monitors and one set of cans. (I've got my monitors, my Avantone mix cube, and my mixing headphones. After going through this thread, I'm convinced that adding decent earbuds to that process is going to be part of the process. But just one of each type of listening device. Life's too short.)

Last edited:
I bet you'd reduce the suffering if you plumped for one set of monitors and one set of cans. ('ve got my monitors, my Avantone mix cube, and my mixing headphones. After going through this thread, I'm convinced that adding decent earbuds to that process is going to be part of the process. But just one of each type of listening device. Life's too short.)
Yeah maybe. I've tried a few angles...monitors and one set of phones...2x monitors (I have the cubes too but they aren't hooked up lately) and multiple headphones. Basically now I'm just on monitors and 2 headphones and later phones and laptops. The 2 headphones (HD600 and Sonys) are quite different sonically so I figure if I can get a sound that holds up on both I'm heading in the right direction. Since I put up much more DIY room treatment I've been finding that things are sounding (or I'm mixing things to sound) somewhat uniform across monitors, HD600s and Sonys. To me, I see this as a good thing. But it still can't fully help me to get a mix to where it could be.

Human Planet is saying some eye opening stuff...my mix is weak...and I don't doubt it. It's just that to me, the mix is at the better end of any mixes I've done, aha! So...yeah, here I am thinking, man this sounds good...but it is lacking. And the lacking part is where me, and you too dobro because I think you're interested in trying to learn like I am, comes in. Ok it's lacking...so what now. HP has given pretty direct advice on what he thinks the areas are. Which is very much appreciated.

So, yeah, I'll get back in there and give it another go and see what happens.

I'm recording a song at the moment that's very different...so when it comes time to mix it, my mixing skill set...the ability to present the song as well as it can be will be mega challenged again.

It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll...from your spare room, by yourself, in your free time, ha!

Human Planet is saying some eye opening stuff...my mix is weak...and I don't doubt it. It's just that to me, the mix is at the better end of any mixes I've done, aha! So...yeah, here I am thinking, man this sounds good...but it is lacking. And the lacking part is where me, and you too dobro because I think you're interested in trying to learn like I am, comes in.

Yeah, this is me down the line. Trying to make things better is what I do in the meantime while everything's going to hell lol.

Ok it's lacking...so what now. HP has given pretty direct advice on what he thinks the areas are. Which is very much appreciated.

So, yeah, I'll get back in there and give it another go and see what happens.

And I look forward to it. But keep in mind the hierarchy: a great song is a great song, and a great performance is a great performance, and that trumps everything else, even a great mix.

I've deleted the original mix, left the 2nd mix for now and just uploaded a 3rd attempt...first song here:

This time (building what I'd done already in the 2nd mix) I took out some more of the low mid rhythm guitar, found that the bass guitar (a straight DI) had some off putting resonances or sounds in some areas...used some narrow Q to try to remove what I could, tried to make the snare come through more, upped the drums with some slight compression and a small boost in vol (there was no compression at all on the drum bus before), aimed to brighten the drums a bit more, slightly lowered the volume of the rhythm guitar, widened some of the parts, widened the organs and removed a bit more low mid build up on the master bus. I might have done one or two other things. Everything again was done pretty moderately. I tried to add reverb at about a 10% mix or so, or 15 or something on the master bus but ended up getting rid of it because I couldn't really hear what I was doing...and that was late in the piece and felt that I was just playing silly buggers by that point. I didn't get into multiband compressors or anything like that. Might have to start looking into that tool.

So anyway, thanks dobro and Human Planet very much indeed. That was a good learning experience and I have things I can now take to my next song/ mix.

:-)

Last edited:
Hey Monkey,

I know I said 'Nuff said' earlier an that, but I was just listening to the rest of your music (letting it run on from 'Building A Fire', I listen to A LOT of music). You're a pretty good song writer and there's much there to be proud of (is it Petty is it Lennon, maybe it's Allen!).

I was just wondering, Melinda. You haven't got her tied up in the back of a van somewhere have you?

Hey Monkey,

I know I said 'Nuff said' earlier an that, but I was just listening to the rest of your music (letting it run on from 'Building A Fire', I listen to A LOT of music). You're a pretty good song writer and there's much there to be proud of (is it Petty is it Lennon, maybe it's Allen!).

I was just wondering, Melinda. You haven't got her tied up in the back of a van somewhere have you?

Ha! :ROFLMAO: I tell you what...I wish I had her tied up in the back of a van or somewhere. Maybe even just reclining in one of my easy chairs or relaxing at the kitchen table. Unfortunately, she got away. Oh well!

Thanks for the kind words...been trying to write nice songs for quite a while. I've done 90% writing and 10% recording and mixing over the last 15 years or so. I have the time now though, so I'm trying to step on the gas and get stuff recorded and mixed as well as I can.

ok i found the back icon
well stone breaker
all around the world but still i shiver
liar

oh wait, i need to boogy
and give up to be landing beer

so, you're a back yard

end of the week hot dog end of the stick guy
well who the fuck aint
me? yea

ok wait

that last chord - right

aMaj

somehow, brother, now i m holding on here ruff lol

yea i got my old 50 l5 out

to jam with this and its in tune

well lets me see if i can patch a pict of me

I'm late to the party here. Another great song brother!
I read through the posts, listened to changes, but I am still stuck on the low end not having any power. I don't feel the 'punch' that this tune needs. I turn off my subwoofer and there is no change. The mix has not much going on below 100hz. And I suppose that is ok, but it just feels a bit weak - if that makes sense.

I also think a plate verb would be best on the vocal. Hell, that is what I use on almost everything lately. I read back there you were using a spring verb or something...
There are a few elements in the mix that are not quite in place, but overall it is sounding really good Matt!
And, when the next song played on your Soundcloud player, I heard basically the same thing. No low end punch. I wonder if maybe you have a room mode issue, and are not hearing what I do. Or, maybe I am the one with the issue? Oh great, time to get to work on my control room build.... lol
That all aside, I am relating my assesments because I know what I am hearing in my room. My only nit is with the low end.

Props to you and your songs! I wish we were closer cuz I would love to hang out with you and collaborate or somethin!

Thanks Jimmy. Yeah the low end...like I kind of said before, hard to fix issues I can't really identify as problematic my end. But the consistent comments about low end will definitely have me paying much more attention to that area in future. I guess it's not really an issue I can fix by just boosting the low end with an eq across the stereo bus...it's more like I'd have to be getting it right during mixing. But as far as really low end instruments/ parts I suppose really we're looking at drums and bass guitar yeah? Even almost just, kick and bass guitar. So it's not like I have to try and make everything pump out low, low end.

Hope you're doing good man!

Last edited:
Back