Building a computer...for the first time.

itaughttremonti

Paul McCartney died?
Ok, so I've got a Dell case with some shot hardware in it, and decided that I would try and build my own computer for a dedicated recording unit. So first question...should I dive into this or is building a computer a big no-no without any prior experience. I've got a couple friends that could help me if I got stuck along the way, so I guess that helps.

But anyways, on to what I need. I know I will hear different opinions from different folks, but I just need to know where to start looking and whatever seems to be the common theme of reccomendations is what I'll go for.

I will be getting either a Presonus Firestudio or Tascam 1641 interface and running Reaper, maybe Cubase if I get a copy with one of the interfaces.

So lay it on me, what do I need?

I just built my first computer, had some issues getting it to work. Asus' customer support was very good and got it up and running in no time. I built a pc with i5 750 quad core processor overclocked to 3.5 ghz. The whole process was fairly easy. I can record many tracks with lots of plug-ins at 24/88.2. I record at 88.2 because higher sample rates reduce latency. When I first started pc recording I used ableton live intro on my old computer, I had fairly high latency (about 15 to 20 milliseconds) recording at 44.1 or 48 khz and would get occasional pops and clicks here and there because the processor couldn't keep up and the latency was noticable when overdubbing. My old computer had AMD 4200+ dual core 2.2 ghz processor and 3 gb ram. Then I switched to pro tools and latency became more of an issue because it don't have delay compensation. With my new computer latency and pops and clicks are no longer an issue. If you're going to be recording a lot of tracks, using a lot of plugins and virtual instruments you'll want a computer with as much processing power you can afford. Also you'll want know how the daw you are considering using deals with latency. Some have automatic delay compensation (eg pro tools 9), some manual delay compensation ( eg ableton live) and some don't have any (eg pro tools 8).

Hey,check out MAX PC for some nice tutorials on computer building. That will get you started with the basics and such.

If its something you're interested in learning, and if you're feeling adventurous, it really isn't that difficult to build a computer. With that said, you cant just put together any ol parts. The motherboard has to have the correct socket for the processor you choose. The ram you pick has to be the correct type for the motherboard. There's ide and sata for drives. You'll need to pick a power supply and the case from your old dell may not be the best choice for a case. You'll have to be conscious of all that while you're shopping. Putting the parts together isn't difficult as long as you're careful and follow the directions. Parts only fit together one way typically, and I think most newbs screw up by forcing things in incorrectly and bending or breaking shit- so don't do that. Nine times out of 10, a new build goes off without a hitch and you're up and running after a few hours. The problem is, sometimes you get a bad part or sometimes you find something that isn't compatible that can stop you in your tracks. That can be frustrating and if/when that happens it really helps to know something about trouble shooting a computer.

Gigabyte and Intel are a fine choice. I've also had good luck with Asus and AMD products. For the past 10 years, every computer I've built came from Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

I'm sure if you wanted to go shop, then post up what you're looking at here, you'll get some good feedback.

What??!!!??? There's directions????? :laughings:

Seriously man, it's not hard at all. Just make sure you get quality components. And like already been said, you can really only put things together one way.

I mean if I can do it, how hard can it be?? :D

Check in the Studio-Central forums under the PC section. I got a lot of information and help from there when I built mine.

Ok, so I've got a Dell case ...

Know straight up that Dell uses (or did use) proprietary power supplies/motherboards. I would be very cautious using a Dell power supply.

I generally start with the mobo (motherboard). If you need to keep costs down look for a ATX/microATX mobo with integrated video... music recording isn't terribly demanding of video. Make sure whatever mobo you choose it has the I/O you need. If you're going to need 1394 (Firewire) make sure the mobo has it. Expansion cards cost as much (or more!) then buying a whole new motherboard which has the functionality you need built in.

The hardest part of building a computer is connecting the external switches/devices (power switch, speakers, etc.) from the case to the mobo. This is another reason I'd avoid reusing a Dell case. Besides... cases are cheap.

Take it slow, read the instructions, and make sure you're grounded. Static electricity can ruin your whole day.

I use mwave.com, newegg.com, and geeks.com. Luck.

Yes, Dell can be buggers. I have a handful of Dell, and laptops, too. You need their power supply or the batteries won't charge! I've grabbed an HP power supply I have (I know, I have what seems like a hundred desktops and laptops), and it power the Dell laptop fine, but it won't charge the battery, where the official Dell charger does. :confused: Sometimes their connectors in desktops are weird, and nothing else will do. This almost makes me swear off Dell, but I get so many frustrated friends and work colleges give me their Dell stuff that I can't say no. And Firewire may not be glitch free with Dell and whatever chips they use. I'd look more at USB, and make sure the computer didn't originally come with MCE. You will regret that. ;)

I researched a lot of mobo's and it seemed that Gigabyte uses TI chipsets in all of their mobo's. At least that was the case 3 years ago when I built mine.

I will say this, I built a microATX and man things get cramped in there. It's really a pain when I want to add a component. I built a microATX so it would be more portable, which it is, but it really is tight inside that case.

Ok...so I'll just toss the dell case idea and go completely from scratch. This will be staying in one place so, portability is not gonna be an issue. I guess I've got a lot of reading to do...(whatever happened to plug n play? Lol)

Ok...so I'll just toss the dell case idea and go completely from scratch. This will be staying in one place so, portability is not gonna be an issue. I guess I've got a lot of reading to do...(whatever happened to plug n play? Lol)

Even if you're not going to be hauling your PC around a big ass case gets old really really fast when you do have to move it. I'd stay as small and light as reasonable.

I've always just used typical atx mid-tower cases. I did try to use a mini case or micro case or something about 6 years ago. The power supply it came with was really small and blew up pretty quickly. It was also much harder to work in and heat was a constant issue. I'm sure they've made strides in 6 years, but if you don't need portable and if you like to make adjustments, a regular sized case makes things easier IMO.

I have been doing a little reading and this doesn't seem as daunting as when I first thought about it. Now to just save up the funds....while engaged.

:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Its not really too bad, I built a 'gaming' computer a few years ago. Just make sure the cpu you get matches the motherboard, as in both being intel or AMD based and the right format. Also, make sure when you put it all together you free yourself from static, otherwise if you shock a part it could ruin it. That screwed me over once, but luckily only with a cheap stick of ram

Research thermal paste application. Important..
That being said custom jobs offer upgrades that will really help. Look into noise dampening and fanless power supply units. its amazing how much difference a silent machine makes, its almost spooky. That and with proper research you can get a very powerful machine way cheaper than some Dell and it will be tailor made to your needs. A few links that may help
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g33/Ultra_Quiet.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.563620

Last edited:
Research thermal paste application. Important..

This is pretty much a non-issue. Any part that needs thermal paste will have it factor applied- i.e. the backside of the heatsink for a processor always has a small adequate square where it will contact the back of the processor.

Jeff... thats not true. If you buy a Intel processor, retail or EOM, it will NOT have any thermal compound on it. A person must know how to apply it. But there are tons of places to find out.

I know this because in the last 8 years, I've purchased over 10 Intel CPU's for myself, family and friends. And it's NEVER come with any thermal compound.

Jeff... thats not true. If you buy a Intel processor, retail or EOM, it will NOT have any thermal compound on it. A person must know how to apply it. But there are tons of places to find out.

I know this because in the last 8 years, I've purchased over 10 Intel CPU's for myself, family and friends. And it's NEVER come with any thermal compound.

Really?! Granted, I've pretty much used AMD for everything I've built the last several years.... With that said, I JUST built an Intel Core i3 machine a couple days ago, and it most definitely had the thermal paste pre-applied on the back of the stock heatsink.

Back