Building a computer for Protools LE

anppilot1

I was at the Guitar center the other day and there sell,ing a Mac G5 for $3000. I know that Macs vs PC's for audio are better, hands down...period.

But Dam, it came with a price tag of $3000.

I put this PC together virtually from Newegg.com

2.5 GHZ Amd Athlon XP-Barton
1GB DDR RAM - will upgrade to 2 GB DDR RAM when $ permits
1-40 GB HD for OS and apps
2-80 GB HD 's for audio files
2-2 output video cards
CD-burner/DVD player
Keyboard-yada yada
Mouse-yada yada
Floppy-yada yada
Internal Zip-100
(already have case)
Fire Wire card
(already have monitors 3 Viewsonic E90fb black 19" monitors)
$900.00

Would this setup kick ass with Protools LE, Digi 002 rack ???

It'll definately beat my current setup of Cubase VST, p3 500 mhz, 512 MB SD RAM, 2X40 GB HD's.

Go to the Digidesign website and check out their requirements. One thing that really makes a difference is the chip sets. You want a pure Intel Chip set on the MoBo that meets the Digidesign specs.

As far as upgrading to 2GB RAM, it won't get you much because it appears that Protools LE 6.1.1 does not really pay attention to anything above 1GB. However, if you plan on running other apps on the hardware, then the extra GB is worth it.

Good idea with the multiple harddrives. PTLE likes to sit on one drive while the others are used for the actual music files. The DVD burner will be great for making backups since the audio files can take up a lot of space.

Digi supposedly says not to run older hybrid VIA/AMD chipsets but this isn't an issue with newer mainboards. The only Digi 001 setup I've done I used a VIA KT333 Raid board running an AMD XP2000. The thing works perfect and the owner uses it constantly.
Of course I don't think the KT333 is any kind of VIA/AMD hybrid, even thought it's a little long in the tooth these days... Figure any newer VIA KT400 and KT600 chipset as well as the Nforce2 chipset would work just fine. The main problem with older VIA chipsets was the PCI bus. I can't remember the specifics, but the Digi PCI interface cards didn't get along with the older VIA PCI bus.

Add.. Nice monitors you have. Got a couple of the G90Fs which was the previous flat screen 19" CRT. Clearest things I've ever seen and they still look perfect after a couple years...

Back