Building a "Behringer homestudio"

????

Instead of buying all that medium quality equipment, why not buy better equip on ebay. You can find much better things than behringer for the same price on there, open you mind and do some research!!

Monitors

One thing you need to keep in mind with monitor selection is there are many different brands of monitors out there, is what you are hearing is not necessarily what is going to tape. I have a set of JBLs that I use in my studio. I love the sound. But sometimes when I listen to the mix with my mackies I hear a different sound. The JBLs have a "thicker" low end then the mackies. So when I mix with the JBLs I am aware of that difference in the mix. What ever you pick as a monitor get to know them intimately. As far as behringer goes. If you can make it do what you need it to do, effectively..I will say it again, effectively than by all means use it regardless of brand. People can be snobby about their equipment I have a Behringer mic that does good for what I need it to and I like their Patchbays. For other things in my studio Alesis takes care of my EQing. Ensoniq (yes Ensoniq) is my choice for a multieffects processor along with Digitech. Compression and Niose gate are handled by dbx. So dude work with the equipment you feel comfortable with and make work for you.

Behringer equipment

Hey there guy who wants all behringer stuff... im going to give you the only advice youll ever need. What led me to this thread is that my friend here at work joked about this same thing. But anyways. This is what you have to ask yourself... what am i trying to do with recording? Am i trying to be a recording studio? Am i trying to make myself famous off of music i make? Am i trying to make songs ill like for just me and friends to hear? Be realistic and realize that being your own professional recording studio is not an option using equipment that your clients will shit on due to the fact that any idiot can come on here and read about how "this sucks" and "that sucks". You will need a loan to start a professional recording studio, and thats ridiculous anyways because you are new and all the good stuff in the world wont help you if you have no experience. So on to option 2. Trying to be famous with your recordings. Fame blows and the general publics opinion of what is good art blows. So option 2 is a dead end street that 99 percent of men will live and die on in the world of music. Being popular is never about being a good artist. It is about image, in one form or another, and image is bullshit. So that leaves the last option which is making recordings for your own enjoyment. Honestly its the only option because all the others are empty and a waste of time and will lead you back to this one anyway. Get anything that works and make sure you have something worth recording. Listen to the classics. You dont need to make "classic" rock to learn from the classics. Classic art is such because it epitomizes some element of the human condition that is not necessarily tied to some kind of marketing. Look to the classics. Classic anything. It doesnt even need to be classic music. Anything that has endured is fine. Look and listen closely to what "sells" it to the souls of the people who it moves. What is it? Is it irony? Is it a timeless story? There will always be songs about girls and love. There will always be songs about death. Why? because those elements are in all humans. Theres no gimmick, no haircut, no 2000 dollar mic cable. Try to read between the lines of what makes things successful in moving people to WANT to hear it again and again. Beyond what the media shoves down your throat to make a buck. Its not a guitar tone, its not a riff, and its not equipment. Those things are helpful in achieving an element of the art, but they are never enough to make a classic. NEVER. All im saying is you wont even need much equipment if the art itself is moving. I would rather listen to an all behringer made version of sgt. pepper than some bullshit guitar rock solo home recording project some asshole made on equipment he sold his wife and kids future on because it was so expensive. Besides, no matter how great your mics and equipment are, some asshole will have better stuff and he will be telling you how your shit sucks and his is better. I wonder what people would make if they got jealous of each others songwriting ability rather than equipment cost. The billboard charts these days are filled with shit, yet every motherfcker has a home studio with tons of "nice equipment". Kill the place in your mind that believes the lies that your fellow man makes you believe because hes scared of not being a bigger man. Its always whos dick is bigger no matter what it is. And in this case its equipment. Dig deep and read between the lines of lines and you will be respected and your art will be enjoyed be people. Maybe not by all these gear homos, but who cares about them. Who are they? They are people the government loves. Blind consumers fueling the economy. Probably dudes who dream of stardom or started life as a teenage musician, realized they couldnt write for shit, so they throw their time into nice equipment at an age where they can afford to. These people, despite their numbers, are worthless to the world of true art, and ultimately worthless to you. So just tune your instrument, tune your mind to focus on what your true feelings are minus any feelings of inadequacy, and just record what moves you. And hopefully its not another bunch of shitty guitar driven dad rock songs where you emulate all the overhyped wanking guitar heros. Everybody wants to be a rock star, but if you look at the real life stories behind rock stars of the old days youll see that they had more knowledge of music theory and the classics than they had money to spend on good equipment (before fame). Good luck.

planetorange said:
Hey there guy who wants all behringer stuff... im going to give you the only advice youll ever need. What led me to this thread is that my friend here at work joked about this same thing. But anyways. This is what you have to ask yourself... what am i trying to do with recording? Am i trying to be a recording studio? Am i trying to make myself famous off of music i make? Am i trying to make songs ill like for just me and friends to hear? Be realistic and realize that being your own professional recording studio is not an option using equipment that your clients will shit on due to the fact that any idiot can come on here and read about how "this sucks" and "that sucks". You will need a loan to start a professional recording studio, and thats ridiculous anyways because you are new and all the good stuff in the world wont help you if you have no experience. So on to option 2. Trying to be famous with your recordings. Fame blows and the general publics opinion of what is good art blows. So option 2 is a dead end street that 99 percent of men will live and die on in the world of music. Being popular is never about being a good artist. It is about image, in one form or another, and image is bullshit. So that leaves the last option which is making recordings for your own enjoyment. Honestly its the only option because all the others are empty and a waste of time and will lead you back to this one anyway. Get anything that works and make sure you have something worth recording. Listen to the classics. You dont need to make "classic" rock to learn from the classics. Classic art is such because it epitomizes some element of the human condition that is not necessarily tied to some kind of marketing. Look to the classics. Classic anything. It doesnt even need to be classic music. Anything that has endured is fine. Look and listen closely to what "sells" it to the souls of the people who it moves. What is it? Is it irony? Is it a timeless story? There will always be songs about girls and love. There will always be songs about death. Why? because those elements are in all humans. Theres no gimmick, no haircut, no 2000 dollar mic cable. Try to read between the lines of what makes things successful in moving people to WANT to hear it again and again. Beyond what the media shoves down your throat to make a buck. Its not a guitar tone, its not a riff, and its not equipment. Those things are helpful in achieving an element of the art, but they are never enough to make a classic. NEVER. All im saying is you wont even need much equipment if the art itself is moving. I would rather listen to an all behringer made version of sgt. pepper than some bullshit guitar rock solo home recording project some asshole made on equipment he sold his wife and kids future on because it was so expensive. Besides, no matter how great your mics and equipment are, some asshole will have better stuff and he will be telling you how your shit sucks and his is better. I wonder what people would make if they got jealous of each others songwriting ability rather than equipment cost. The billboard charts these days are filled with shit, yet every motherfcker has a home studio with tons of "nice equipment". Kill the place in your mind that believes the lies that your fellow man makes you believe because hes scared of not being a bigger man. Its always whos dick is bigger no matter what it is. And in this case its equipment. Dig deep and read between the lines of lines and you will be respected and your art will be enjoyed be people. Maybe not by all these gear homos, but who cares about them. Who are they? They are people the government loves. Blind consumers fueling the economy. Probably dudes who dream of stardom or started life as a teenage musician, realized they couldnt write for shit, so they throw their time into nice equipment at an age where they can afford to. These people, despite their numbers, are worthless to the world of true art, and ultimately worthless to you. So just tune your instrument, tune your mind to focus on what your true feelings are minus any feelings of inadequacy, and just record what moves you. And hopefully its not another bunch of shitty guitar driven dad rock songs where you emulate all the overhyped wanking guitar heros. Everybody wants to be a rock star, but if you look at the real life stories behind rock stars of the old days youll see that they had more knowledge of music theory and the classics than they had money to spend on good equipment (before fame). Good luck.

OHHH-KAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! :p Whew!!!! :D

Yeah man I agree with focusing on the perf, dynamics & capturing quality tracking/recording along with getting optimal perf & operation out of lo-end units, but one will eventually notice the limitations put forth by gear such as Behringer and will seek dynamic/efx processors that will yield improved quality results w/o breaking the bank. In addition, though Beh's products are priced ridiculously low, later on the buyer will be confronted with the fact that the Beh unit(s) resale value will drop to approx 70-85% in value.
Believe me, there are other comparably, lo-priced gear alternatives that are far superior to Beh's offerings that will def'ly yield adequately decent results which the buyer should explore before being hypnotized by the Beh "HYPE-MACHINE"! Even if you can't afford what you want, save a $ here and a $ there b-4 buying a unit you will no doubtly replace.

I'll put in my 2 penny's again, didn't even read my last comment but it had to have been atleast a year ago so things have changed.

I think behringer gear is a great way to start a home studio that can get good results. Not studio quality results but good results for the person at home who just wants to record something that sounds like they put some work into it. My mixer served me well, it just had problems when i tried to use it to control my moniters. I got this weird reverb sound that would turn into a high pitched feedback when i turn them up. But it was a $50 mixer. As for results, my yamaha mg sounds better, cleaner, quieter, but not that much better to totally discount behringer. My compressor works fine, does it's job, no problems with that. It does nothing but compress, no difference in sound, just compressed, no color, etc. I've moved on to new gear but i felt it served me well. In the tuner car would, the saying is mod cheap, mod twice. I guess it's the same for recording. The difference is if you want to get your foot in the door, you can do that with behringer stuff and be happy. People act like recording through a behringer preamp is like recording with a $10 mic through your factory soundcard or something. I know many on this board have high end gear but for the rest of us just working in bedrooms, doing things for fun, behringer stuff works, well worked, fine for me.

Man all you have to say is Behringer and all the snobs come out. Not everyone has $1,000s to spend and yes if you don't give an example of something else then you are justing being an ass. Once again, I have their gear and am happy, I agree that you should add slowly listening to how it sounds as you go along, you never mentioned mics or monitors, what do you have now? The mics especially will make the big difference but yes unless you can hear decently how it all sounds you are playing in the dark.

Mr. Ins@ne said:
It just comes to my mind over and over again...is behringer THAT bad?

Not at all. Some of the absolute most knowledgeable and experienced people out here, Dot and Harvey to name just two have used and or recommended some Behringer products. Dot I know liked and recommended one of their preamps and Harvey liked and recorded with one of their microphones and there are NO people more experienced or qualified out here to give a more informed opinion than these two. David Bowies producer uses Behringer compressors, btw. I highly recommend the V-Verb effects unit, at a little over $150.00 nothing touches it until you get in the $350 and up price range. It got great reviews at tech mag and soundonsound. Don't fall for the Behringer bashing. Think about this, why would the highly respected people I mentioned above use or recommend some Behringer gear if it was THAT bad?

So what did I do? I quit smoking and saved the money. Once a year I buy a new piece from Mercenary.

Nearly everything on that site is over $2,000. You musta been one helluva smoker.

Sorry, for that amount I could buy ten Behringer pieces and still have enough left over for Xmas for my wife.

Face it: Those of you hitting on Behringer are snobs. Nothing wrong with snobbishness; it doesn't REALLY hurt anyone, but why not just admit that you're like my friend's fourteen-year-old kid who wouldn't allow his mother to buy him a pair of Nike sneakers on sale, because he wanted to be able to tell his friends they cost $120 instead of $80, or whatever.

Listen, it's a HOME STUDIO. If I ever get to the point where I need a true professional-grade recording, I'll go hire out a professional studio.

Behringer works just fine for what I do, and you cannot beat the bang-for-the-buck no matter what else you say.

OK. So if the thread.....

.....is over a year old then WHAT did Mr.Ins@ne end up buying and what is he recording? :confused: Doesn't anybody else wonder?? :confused: Did I lock myself in the car again???:eek:

.....is over a year old then WHAT did Mr.Ins@ne end up buying and what is he recording? :confused: Doesn't anybody else wonder?? :confused: Did I lock myself in the car again???:eek:

haha yes you did. Better get the coat hanger :D

I would like to respond to the guy two posts up who was going on about how great Behringer is for those of us who don't want to go to a professional studio, but since he has only ever posted twice, it probably doesn't matter.

I have 7 minutes left at work though, so here goes :D

I believe that whatever tool gets the job done is fine, regardless of brand. Most of the Behringer stuff I've used was shit. Worked all right, but mostly it was noise-generating hardware. However, another company that manufacturers gear of questionable quality on occassion is Nady, and I have been using one of their 8-channel, 100-dollar PRA-8 preamps for a few years, and it is a damn quiet pre. Doesn't work for everything, of course, and only offers about 40dB of gain, but for certain things, it produces more than adequate recordings. Just a proof-of-concept kind of thing. End ramblings!

The Truths are a decent pair of monitors for the money. I thought the headphone amp was noisy.

/sigh/

I always respond to these ancient threads. :/

Ancient threads have merit if the original poster is still around to update us on what worked and what didn't etc

Behringer works 1/3 of the time and it sucks
I have 2031s and a few years ago one decided not to work.
After a minute of playing it stoped and today I figurd out the problem.
If I turn the gain to -3 its fine, how stupid, dont buy their stuff waste of time.

Last edited:
Behringer works 1/3 of the time and it sucks
I have 2031s and a few years ago one decided not to work.
After a minute of playing it stoped and today I figurd out the problem.
If I turn the gain to -3 its fine, how stupid, dont buy their stuff waste of time.

Got to agree here!!!! they are the bic lighters of audio small useful life and cost more to fix than to purchase an other one - this was told to me by there customer service after calling to complain about a unit that died and was just out of warranty *--#*^- that was the F bomb.
So never again even if someone was to give me a unit for free I would never trust it or use behringer again NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back