build your own diffuser

callipygian

So,

I'm probably going to build my own diffuser for my studio, because I imagine it would be rather easy to make something along the lines of the product at the following site:

http://www.acousticsfirst.com/artdif.htm

What I'm curious about is....do the cuts of wood have to be rectangular/square, or would it be just as effective using cylindrical shaped wood (as if you would cut up a bunch of old broomsticks). Not that I'm necessarily planning to cut up a bunch of old broomsticks.....but what would be the acoustic difference between the different shapes of wood?

Anybody?

Do a search on this forum -- there have been some threads which have discussed DIY diffusors in depth that should be very helpful.

-lee-

You could use broomstick handles, I suppose. But you have to take into account that there is a mathematical model that determines the height of each piece and the placement of each piece in order to create a truly effective diffuser. I've seen some documentation on this, and decided it was more work than what I needed to do at the time.

You might also want to check out the acoustics forum over at www.johnlsayers.com to see if anyone there has any input on this.

Darryl.....

Back