Build or Buy, a slightly different slant

morindae

I am confused as to what to do right now. I am presently tracking on my Fostex MR8 and then doing all my editing and mixing in N-track on my P2 350 MHZ 128 ram dinosaur. This is working very well for me, but tends to create limitations when it comes to using plugins. I want a new machine but am not sure if I should build one, or buy something like a Dell. I don't want to spend more than $500 if I can help it. The Dell machines I have checked out seem like a good idea, and I wont be recording on the pc. So should I get a refurbished Dell or just take my$500 and build a pc for audio only? Bear in my I dont' have an operating system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

What OS are you using on your current PC? Are you willing to part out your current PC of it's drives/case and other parts? I just looked into building my sister a computer. Here's the basics with cannibalizing her current computer:

ATACOM.com
85.95 - ABIT BE7 SCOKET478 INTEL845PE Motherboard W/AUDIO/LAN/USB2.0/DDR333
169.95 - INTEL P4 2.4GHZ/512K/533FSB SOCKET 478 W/FAN (3 YEARS WARR.)-RETAIL CPU
99.95 - VANTEC VAN-470A STEALTH BLACK ALUMINUM 470W ATX TRI-FAN POWER SUPPLY
49.95 - ATI - RADEON 7500 64MB AGP Graphics Card

NEWEGG.com
82.00 - 512MB DDR333
======

For that, you could go out and get yourself a copy of Windows XP Home Edition and not be too far over-budget.

I'm presently using windows 98. However, I want to keep my present computer for going on the internet and use a KVM switch so that I can use my keyboard and monitor for both computers.

I was able to get a Dell Dimension 2400 with a P4 2.20GHz and 256 Megs of RAM with integrated video down to $609. That would be decent. Certainly better than what you are currently using.

Oh yeah.. That doesn't include a monitor, seeing how you said you were using a switch for it... :D

Well fierojoe, I'm probably going to buy a computer as opposed to building. I have read posts where it can be done for about $500, but it seems pointless in my case because I dont track in the pc.
I have seen some good deals on the dell website. I could pick up a refurbished 2350 with a P4 and 256 ram for about $450. I can't see building a machine beating that kind of deal. I'll then reformat the thing to remove all the junk software that Dell supply you with and reinstall the os and my audio software.

That sounds like a good idea. Dell is a good manufacturer, so you really can't go wrong there. I always build my own because I really like to know what's going into my computer and make sure each piece is the best that I can buy, but if I had to buy one, I'd buy a Dell.

if your this deep you may as well learn and save, pc work is costly to say the least...

besides, its easy, it really is, just check all the cables twice before you boot and go straght to the bios health monitor and what your temps and volts are doing for a minute or two, config then boot, 123 abc done, now comes the fun part, microflaw ;)

Fusion2 is right. Building a PC is all about finding great parts. That is 90% of the battle. Once you have those in, it's all just plug and play. Most things will only fit into the spots they need to go, so it's almost impossable to plug the wrong wire in the wrong spot.

morindae said:
So should I get a refurbished Dell or just take my$500 and build a pc for audio only? Bear in my I dont' have an operating system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Refrushed Dell machines are a very good deal. Buy without a monitor. You can generally find a good unit for less than $400 shipped.

Ed

I actually just bought a system from PC Club for $500. It's got a P4 2.4 GHZ, 512 Ram, with a 7200 rpm 40 Gig Western Digital harddrive. I'm happy with the amount of horsepower I have. I know in the longterm it would probably have been a better decision to build, but my priorities are more with recording and writing music. I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of looking for the parts.

Fusion2 said:
if your this deep you may as well learn and save, pc work is costly to say the least...

besides, its easy, it really is, just check all the cables twice before you boot and go straght to the bios health monitor and what your temps and volts are doing for a minute or two, config then boot, 123 abc done, now comes the fun part, microflaw ;)

if you can build a plastic model car you can build a pc most likely, don't think it's magical cause it isn't, and yes there are untold builders overpaid on the web, building it is nothing, config microshit is another story though...

i said in another thread you pay for what you get, so true, so true, try newegg.com and go for epox, msi, asus mainboard and western digital 8mb cache 80g drives or 40g humm save with 80 though, 2 of them so you can install your samplers/players on the boot 1st drive and recorders on the second drive and get no drive overload issues when ripping/recording, yup, the second drive records while the first drive plays, damn cool imho... ram 512 at least 2700 plaese if not 3200...
gotta go...l8ter

peace...

Well the mobo is an MSI 6533XG-L SIS651. I have no idea how good it is, it could be a piece of junk as far as I know. I will know if it is when I put in my software, and begin editing with lots of plugins.

Back