Buffering Issues With Cubase 7.5?

Robertt8

Hey guys,

I'm trying to mix a tune done at:

Sample rate: 96
Bitrate: 24

I usually keep mine low (44.1 at 16 bit), so buffer size usually isn't a problem, but since I'm trying to mix a buddy's song, I've run into all sorts of issues with clicking popping and eventually just flat out long periods of no sound followed by a quick hit of muisic and back again.

I'm pretty sure I've got my Cubase buffer size maxed out (2048?). I gave up on trying to run through my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 as that's where I first noticed the problem. He probably only has like 15 tracks or so, but each track has some EQ and possibly an effect or two. I tried to go straight through my computer (a very fast imac) and it appeared to work at first, but on subsequent mixes, I found even it to be just as bad as my Focusrite.

I tried to save down the sound files to a smaller rate, but it always crashes on me before it finishes.

Is there a way to work around this?

Thanks!
Tait

oh i didn't think you meant that in your first post, you can always use an other DAW like audacity to switch all audio files to desired format

Hey Vigo. Thanks.

Do you know an easy way to take all those files into Audacity, re-format them and then put them back into Cubase?

If you're only mixing, the focusrite buffer should have nothing to do with glitches and pops. 15 tracks is not a lot and even with an eq and some plugs on each track, it shouldn't stumble. Even at 96k/24bit.

This sounds like your computer isn't up to the task, but I'm sure it is. That means it is spending a lot of processing power doing something else. Like anti-virus or a background app. Or you are using some cpu intensive plugs like reverb.

Describe what is going on in more detail.

If you're only mixing, the focusrite buffer should have nothing to do with glitches and pops. 15 tracks is not a lot and even with an eq and some plugs on each track, it shouldn't stumble. Even at 96k/24bit.

This sounds like your computer isn't up to the task, but I'm sure it is. That means it is spending a lot of processing power doing something else. Like anti-virus or a background app. Or you are using some cpu intensive plugs like reverb.

Describe what is going on in more detail.

Great point. I'm mixing a buddies track and he has a very old crappy mac laptop that this runs super smoothly on. I have a much newer super fast imac that is bogging down hard. I'm not quite sure what is going on.

I figured it was my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 that was the problem, but now you're making me wonder. It pulls the mixing power from the computer...not the Focusrite?

You're just mixing, right? No tracking or recording? If so, then yes, strictly in the computer. The focusrite is just converting digital to 2-track audio for your monitors or headphones.

The only way the focusrite would be the cause is if the drivers were corrupted, not selected to the proper sample rate, or the USB port is fubar and/or busy with other devices.

Can you plug headphones directly into the computer and mix with the built-in soundcard?? Not sure how to do that with a mac.

That is correct. I'm having this issue while mixing. I had some success, at first, ditching my focusrite and going straight through the computer, but then i seemed to hit a magic number of plugins and it went haywire. That's an interesting point about the usb though as currently plugged in using one of those 4 in one usb docks...I have plenty of open usb ports, but didn't realize that might be an issue.

96k/24 bit audio will require more of your CPU to run plugins at that level (yes even a fast mac). If you are bottoming out then try freezing some tracks.

Also since the audio files are a heck of a lot bigger than 44.1 the imac hard drive might not be able to keep up. Try setting the disk reload to a higher setting (default is 2 seconds). It might help, it might not do anything. This option is where you set your asio driver (VST audio system)

96k/24 bit audio will require more of your CPU to run plugins at that level (yes even a fast mac). If you are bottoming out then try freezing some tracks.

Also since the audio files are a heck of a lot bigger than 44.1 the imac hard drive might not be able to keep up. Try setting the disk reload to a higher setting (default is 2 seconds). It might help, it might not do anything. This option is where you set your asio driver (VST audio system)

Thanks for the ideas Guitargodgt! Question... How do you freeze a track???

Ah no worries. In the tack inspector (where you arm the track for recording) where all those little buttons for mute, solo, read automation, write automation etc is a button that has a icon that looks like a snowflake. That is the freeze button. If there is reverb or any sort of time base effects on the track make sure to set the tail size longer than 5ms (window that pops up when you hit the freeze button). By default 5ms is long enough for most tracks though.

Back