Budget Monitors

Goldilox

I've been using some bookshelf speakers to monitor for a couple years (sold as "DJ monitors & home Karaoke speakers" whatever the hell that means? A guy I was buying a condensor mic off threw them in). So I was looking at getting something better suited to purpose, but I'm somewhat bewildered by the choice.

I'm interested how much I'd need to spend to make the upgrade worthwhile?

Do other forumites have clear ideas on what they prefer at the cheaper end of the market?

Anytime you deal with ears, egos, and marketing you're begging for confusion. I've heard... no pun intended... so much crap over the years... Event are the best, Event suck, KRK are the best, KRK suck... Wharfdale are the best, Wharfdale suck... Adam are the best... you get the idea.

I personally will be purchasing a pair of Yamaha HS80M speakers in the near future unless some other 'new-must-have-incredible-box-with-genuine-rosewood-veneer!!!!!' comes out but in all honesty I can't convince myself it's the best choice. It's a crap shoot. You can demo these things till your blue in the face but there's no assurance that a brand you haven't heard about is twice as good at half the price.

Anytime you deal with ears, egos, and marketing you're begging for confusion. I've heard... no pun intended... so much crap over the years... Event are the best, Event suck, KRK are the best, KRK suck... Wharfdale are the best, Wharfdale suck... Adam are the best... you get the idea.

One of the things I love about talking gear on internet forums is I can always find someone to tell me what I want to hear!

The HS80Ms are probably a bit rich for my blood tbh, although I could stretch to the HS50M. Have you demoed both? I'm guessing the smaller one doesn't have as good a bass response?

That's gonna be the case .... less bottom end. I hear decent things about those though.

However .... what exactly are the bookshelves you now use?
It's simply not true that stereo speakers are crap for monitor use. Some are and some aren't.
I'd rather have a nice pair of Paradigms than any of the moderate priced monitors I see out there.

Well....if you're looking for budget, then it doesn't get much more budget than the KRK series. I have the 6's....they work pretty well. Not the best, but at only $400 I don't really expect them to be :D

It really doesnt matter in the $400 range. They all are a bit different, you'll just have to learn to know them. I picked Samson A8-s, but I could have chosen KRK or ESI or M-Audio just as well.

I was born in the beautiful British Midlands although at the time where I lived wasn't quite so beautiful.
Moving swiftly on......if price is an issue you might do well to give these guys a go. I got a pair a couple of years ago and they do the job for my admittedly less than stellar ears {and recordings !}. They're actually made by Studiospares.

Is KRK is a good for use?

Like Nucleus said, each monitor around the $400ish level is going to have its own little quirks. I have the KRK 6's and really liked them, but it took (and is still taking) a while to get used to their sound, personally. Once you understand how your monitors "sound" in your room, then you are well on your way to making better tracks! :)

If I were you, I'd try to get to a store and see if you can test some models out. Play something on them that you are verrrrrrry familiar with, so you will know how they affect the sound. Also, I'd try to not get anything under 6" because you might run into trouble with bass-frequency reproduction.

As far as really budget goes, research has led me to the KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2 Powered 2-Way Active Monitors (active = good! :D). 2nd opinions appreciated... but basically I'm pretty sure that for under 1000 dollars for monitors, avoid anything ported.

Back