Budget monitors in the UK

pennylink

I'm moving to the UK and would like to get the best/most neutral monitors I can get on my limited budget.

So for around £250, what would you recommend that does NOT need a sub? Is there anything better than the Wharfedale Pro Diamond 8.2 for that price? I've done a Google for Yorkville in the UK but can't find any...

Also, any particular retailers you would recommend in the London area?

I have never seen Yorkvilles here. You could also try Tannoy Reveal Actives or Behringer Truths in your budget. Turnkey has a listening room with lots of monitors set up (it's in Charing Cross Road, in the West End, horrible shop tho'). Also Rose Morris round the corner in Denmark Street has a good range and has much nicer staff. The London music shops will all price match - try Digital Village or Millennium Music on the web for prices (and they have shops in the London suburbs).

Sound Control (under the Virgin megastore in Tottenham Court road) will sell you the W'dales for about £230 if you haggle.

COOLCAT said:
Thanks :) Since I lived in the States, I know how much cheaper audio equipment is than in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter). However, by the time you figure in shipping and import taxes, you might as well buy locally and have the convenience of being able to return in case of problems.

Any other suggestions for active monitors in the 250 British Pound price range that I should consider?

Digital Village, Turnkey and Dolphin Music are the best places for ordering, but any Sound Control or Academy of Sound store will order stuff in for you to listen to ... and often price-match another dealer too.

You should hook up with Mr Sharp and listen to whatever he's using at the moment (think it's the passive Wharfedales).

noisedude said:
You should hook up with Mr Sharp and listen to whatever he's using at the moment (think it's the passive Wharfedales).

You'd be welcome but my room is embarrassingly bad... :rolleyes:

Garry Sharp said:
The smaller KRK's? Digital Village have them (thinks it's www.dv247.com)

do you really think that the smaller krk´s are better than the wharfedales ?

i don´t think soo. I think that the krk rp5 ( didn´t hear the rp6 ) isn´t as neutral as the wharfis.

8.2 wharfis especially if you live in the uk would be my choice.

Event Tr6 the second !

fernandoesmaron said:
do you really think that the smaller krk´s are better than the wharfedales ?

i don´t think soo. I think that the krk rp5 ( didn´t hear the rp6 ) isn´t as neutral as the wharfis.

8.2 wharfis especially if you live in the uk would be my choice.

Event Tr6 the second !

Well, I think it's what works in your room.

Back