Budget mics.... what level of pres?

OK, back to Cstockdale's original question... I'm also using SP B1s (with a Yamaha aw16g standalone DAW). A related question: how much better quality is a budget external pre-amp if compared to the internal pre's already on a $1000 DAW? Would there be any improvement in sound for the extra $100-200?

J.

<<Would there be any improvement in sound for the extra $100-200?>>

the answer, as is always the case, is, "it depends". it depends on the pre, it depends on the quality of the pres in your DAW.

but in general, and given that your DAW has what, 12 channels at $1000 total (which is much less than $100/channel), i would venture to say that yes, you should hear at least a minor improvement using (for example) a VTB1 instead of the pres in your DAW.

but as always, it depends on the mic, the pre, and the DAW.

wade

but damn it, I wanna arm 4 tracks at the same time but I can't.....waaaaahhhhhhh....

(which was the whole point to this and many other threads)

Yo CStock- In my experience, albeit somewhat limited, cheap mics through good pres sound better than expensive mics through cheap pres. If you can't arm 4 tracks, and you want to, there's only 2 solutions. Either get a DAW that can, or get a mixer, and get the mix right going in. The only way out is through.
I'm confused, though. Is there really a $1000 DAW that can't arm 4 tracks simultaneously? Simply buy the best pre you can afford. The next question is- why do you need 4 tracks? Drums? That's the usual reason, and 6 or 8 is better. I'm picturing the B1's as overheads, and a couple of dynamics in kick and snare. Am I seeing this right?-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
In my experience, albeit somewhat limited, cheap mics through good pres sound better than expensive mics through cheap pres.

I guess it depends more on what mic and what pre, specifically, you are comparing . . . but honestly I've never once found this to be anywhere even remotely close to the case. That's weird how two people can experience something so drastically different. The really good mics of the world tend to be a lot less picky about what you plug them in to . . . at least that's what I've found and no, my mileage doesn't vary much on that at all. :D Why is that?

Back