Budget cymbals...what rates where

Salabim

ok, i'm 16, and i dont have great amount of the folding stuff to throw around, but i was thinking about getting a set of cymbals....

here is what i am thinking about...

zildjian ZBT's
Paiste 502 or 802's
Sabian Pro's or B8's

i play in 2 bands, one is a ska/swing band and the other is more like coldplay mixed with early radiohead with some rock thrown in....
whats the best bet??
im sorta leaning towards the sabian B8 or Pro's...

any comments?? (PLEASE!!)

Cheers...
Tim

Although all the cymbals you listed are indeed entry level cymbals -any of them could work live (they really don't record well at all (too "brash"). However, I think the B8-pros or the 802's would be your best choice. Working in a drum shop I get to hear all of these cymbals (way more than I want).

If you can wait to get a liittle more folding stuff - I would suggest moving up to Sabian AA's (much better sound). The problem with buying budget cymbals (or budget anything) is in the long run you want better sound and you buy a second time (buy cheap-buy twice). Trade-in value on budget cymbals is only about $1 per inch.

I agree, if at all possible try and save and get the AA's (AAX's are rather nice too). If that won't work, go for the B8 Pros or better yet, the Pros. Stay away from the regular ol B8's...way too gongy. From what I've heard, Sabian has a better overall entry-level sound than Zildjian or Paiste...my opinion......

"budget" cymbals

I'd have to join others in stressing the fact that it's better to spend more money on cymbals, to get the ones you like. The way you sound should inspire you and cymbals make up so much of your sound.

If you must consider budget cymbals for now: I noticed at Sam Ash there's a new line of cymbals called China Star. This is nothing special and they are inconsistent, but I was able to find a few decent sounding crashes and splashes FOR THE MONEY. They'll be cheaper than entry-level brand names. With ZBT, B8 and such you're charged for the name w/o actually getting the real thing.

I also heard about Wuhan cymbals, which are supposed to be good and cheap.

Especially don't get cheap hi-hats and ride.

Wuhan makes good sounding China cymbals. They cost way less than the big three (Zildian, Sabian, Paiste). The only problem with the Wuhans - they are more likely to break. They are thin and made of cheap metal (but that's what gives them the great trashy sound). I've never broken one - I have a 14", a 16" and a 20" - but I've got fairly controlled technique, but I have heard various complaints about breakage.

I have read that Wuhan came out with a series of standard rides, crashes and splashes - however they reportedly have a unique sound.

Has anyone tried or heard them? If so, what's the verdict and what price range?

The Sabian Pro's are tolerable, as are the Paiste 802's. I'd go for the Pro's though. I had a drummer that played Pro's at one point, and they were ok. I play AAX Stage and HH, and oculdn't be ahppier. I payed $400 I think for the set of the AAX hats, ride, and crash. Theys ound awesome, and are totally worth the money. I'd go for a nicer ride and hats if possilbe. Sometimes a cheap crash can sound good in the mix. Probably not for your kind of music, but they still might. You mgith want to check out getting a crash/ride for your main crash. I know a lot of bands similar to Radiohead and such use crash-rides instead of crashes. Gives them a more full and unique cymbal osund. There crash sounds totally fill out the music. I am probably gonna get one myself, like an 18".

Jake

If money is an issue, why not check out your local news paper or check out your local music store or drum shop for good quality "used" cymbals?

Back