Budget Computer Iso-box idea

Osbick Bird

Having found the thing I was after at Home Depot, I wandered around the store for a little bit and spotted something that I thought may be of interest to those looking to find a quiet place to put their CPU box on a budget.

It was in the kitchen cabinetry section, and was a section of cabinet of the sort that goes underneath your kitchen counter. It was made mostly of some heavy fiberboard with a nice stainable veneer on the front. It had a drawer on top and a large door and looked like it had plenty of room inside for a CPU and lots of breathing room if one wanted to install additional deadening material.

You would have to add some kind of top because it comes with an open top assuming most people would buy it for its intended purpose--an under-counter cabinet.

It was priced at US$49.99. It seemed like it would make a good cheap starting point for a PC isolation box, especially for those of us without access to a well-equipped wood shop. The drawer would be a handy place to store cables or mics or whatever other widgets you have lying around, and after you've put a surface on top you've got another place to put a mixer or whatever.

I am thinking I might get one of these for my CPU when funds permit. If I do, I'll try to keep people posted on the results.

OB

Back