buck62, solidstate to solid state?

CyanJaguar

hi,

I noticed your new rig is a vox ad50? If I am correct this is a solidstate amp with a single tube in the preamp right? I heard that the tubes in the power amp matter far more than the tubes in the pre.

I was just wondering why you would go from one solid state to another one.

BTW, I ditched all my solidstate gear. All tubes now and I am inutopia. Peavey rockmaster into mesa 20/20. I dont have any clips, but this is what it sounds like

I got the Vox Valvetronix for two reasons...

1: Tube amps are less reliable overall, IMHO, because of the fact that there's so many tubes you have to worry about replacing. Then, there's the question of "which brand of tube do I use?" and "should I replace them all at once?"... and things of that nature.

2: I played about 3 dozen different amps before I bought the AD50VT, including many all-tube amps like the Fender Hot Rod Deville, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Genz Benz, Laney, etc etc etc. The Vox AD50VT was just as jangly, harmonic, creamy, smooth, biting, warm, and just plain ear pleasing as the rest of them... but it doesn't have a pile of costly tubes to go bad inside it. If the tube goes on it, I'm pretty sure I can guess which one it is. ;)

I'm not going to argue that solid state, analog or hybrid amps sound better than tube amps, because they don't. But if you find a hybrid amp that's really, really close and the price is right, then I think it's worth saving the aggravation down the road and a few bucks to go with an amp like the Vox Valvetronix. Try one out, you might be surprised.

Hi buck,

I heard a vox 50 and it sounds very nice, http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips but I also heard that ss amps dont handle volume very well. How does the vox hold up at gig levels?

oh, and how would you compare and contrast it with the avt50 valvestate? When I was selling mine, the buyer plugged in and played and I was wowed. I almost thought twice about selling it.

SOGUCE is calling me to either a mesa quad or a carvin quad-x preamp, with 8 and 9 12ax7s respectively.

The tubes in the Valvetronix amps are not in the pre amp stage like the Marshalls are. The tubes are in the power section and the tube acts as an output tube to drive the variable output transformer. That's why the VT amps sound so good turned up loud and why they sound more like tube amps than other hybrids or modelers.

H2H

Hard2Hear said:
The tubes in the Valvetronix amps are not in the pre amp stage like the Marshalls are. The tubes are in the power section and the tube acts as an output tube to drive the variable output transformer. That's why the VT amps sound so good turned up loud and why they sound more like tube amps than other hybrids or modelers.

H2H

that would make more sense, because general concensus is that a solidstate pre into a tube amp will sound noticeably better than a tube pre into a solidstate amp.

Say Buck,
did you get to try the traynor. I hear it is in the same price range and is all tube

No, I didn't try a Traynor.

Once I tried the Vox I immediately knew I had a winner. :)

Back