Brothers In Arms (Dire Straits) Instrumental Cover Version

Guitarquango

Hi folks,

just recorded this epic song with my friends Wolbai & Honeyspiders. I did the arrangements of Knopfer's voice with an acoustic fingerstyle guitar and Wolbai did the electric lead guitar part. The soundscapes are made my Honeyspiders.
Hope you enjoy our version:

Have a nice weekend & greetings,

Jimmy

Sounds great....was a big fan of this song back in my teenage days...Still like this song a lot!

Hi folks,

just recorded this epic song with my friends Wolbai & Honeyspiders. I did the arrangements of Knopfer's voice with an acoustic fingerstyle guitar and Wolbai did the electric lead guitar part. The soundscapes are made my Honeyspiders.
Hope you enjoy our version:

Have a nice weekend & greetings,

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy! I'm sharing what I posted on YouTube and also gave a Like and subscribed to your amazing talent long ago! You present another masterpiece in many ways.

Three masters at the top of their artistry wow! Not a note is missed, and so full of emotion. What a grand journey through what was and what is happening in the world! All the celestial soundscapes and top visuals, a holistic and existentialist work of art, not just any music video, a real journey. Thank you Jimmy and sojourners into the deeper realms! Congrats on a real masterpiece!!
Carpe Diem!
Michael Jensen

I've been listening to Jimmy for a long time and I really like his take on classics. The finger style approach is different and often refreshing. Being honest here, I hear one track of a new rendition of the old song - that retains the key moments, the flavour and the delicate bits, but is otherwise a new product. I don't like a copy of the original. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you take Mark K, or Brian M, or Gary M's guitar part and play them in the same style, they're never the same. I extend this to when you take a studio album and the same player re-creates the famous solo, it's never the same - always an imitation. Usually a very good solo, but not the same. They have to change it, or augment it a bit, and this then means it's compared to the original. Maybe the new one is technically better, or cleverer, or more complex, but it's not the same.

I think this is why Jimmy's versions are so good - because they are not copies. No matter how I try not to, I hear a pitch bend and think 'that wasn't quite so bendy as Knopfler's' or start wondering if he's playing different inversions of the chord. For me, it means I cannot enjoy it as a separate entity, but only as a copy. I suppose its that old question. If you play the same guitar, with the same strings, with the same effects and with the same blend, and the same notes, will it sound like the original player, and we all know it never does. I like Jimmy's solo stuff, but I hear people copying Knopfler's solos, and for me that doesn't work. ~ There is a video on YouTube of Sultans of Swing that is so close it's hard to tell it's not knopfler, but what's the point? It's like my old tribute band, no matter how good we were and how much we tried, we were just a copy!

Hi Jimmy! I'm sharing what I posted on YouTube and also gave a Like and subscribed to your amazing talent long ago! You present another masterpiece in many ways.

Three masters at the top of their artistry wow! Not a note is missed, and so full of emotion. What a grand journey through what was and what is happening in the world! All the celestial soundscapes and top visuals, a holistic and existentialist work of art, not just any music video, a real journey. Thank you Jimmy and sojourners into the deeper realms! Congrats on a real masterpiece!!
Carpe Diem!
Michael Jensen
I feel honored Michael!! thank you so much for your kind words about our work. That makes me very happy man!!

All the best and hugs from Hamburg, Jimmy

I've been listening to Jimmy for a long time and I really like his take on classics. The finger style approach is different and often refreshing. Being honest here, I hear one track of a new rendition of the old song - that retains the key moments, the flavour and the delicate bits, but is otherwise a new product. I don't like a copy of the original. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you take Mark K, or Brian M, or Gary M's guitar part and play them in the same style, they're never the same. I extend this to when you take a studio album and the same player re-creates the famous solo, it's never the same - always an imitation. Usually a very good solo, but not the same. They have to change it, or augment it a bit, and this then means it's compared to the original. Maybe the new one is technically better, or cleverer, or more complex, but it's not the same.

I think this is why Jimmy's versions are so good - because they are not copies. No matter how I try not to, I hear a pitch bend and think 'that wasn't quite so bendy as Knopfler's' or start wondering if he's playing different inversions of the chord. For me, it means I cannot enjoy it as a separate entity, but only as a copy. I suppose its that old question. If you play the same guitar, with the same strings, with the same effects and with the same blend, and the same notes, will it sound like the original player, and we all know it never does. I like Jimmy's solo stuff, but I hear people copying Knopfler's solos, and for me that doesn't work. ~ There is a video on YouTube of Sultans of Swing that is so close it's hard to tell it's not knopfler, but what's the point? It's like my old tribute band, no matter how good we were and how much we tried, we were just a copy!
Dear Rob!

This is the most beautiful feedback I have ever read. I feel so honored and I could cry with happiness! I'm just a boy with a guitar. However, I try to show my feelings for the music.
If I can touch someone with it, I'm very happy. You write such a wonderful review of my style that I can hardly believe it.

From my point of view, I'm just a very average guitarist who tries hard. Your words mean a lot to me Rob. You made my day and I will go to bed with a smile. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your words my friend!

I wish you and yours a wonderful weekend and send you a big hug from Hamburg!!

Yours, Jimmy

Jimmy - I've have to admit that I have watched your videos quite closely, watched your hands and fingers, and (as with many things) I think I now know how to do certain things you do - BUT - I can't! When you play with the others, your part is the unique bit, while the other guys, though very good, are trying to get close to the original - and just in my view, missing it - as it has to, because they're not the original player. What would be nice would be to have you play your usual style as the accompaniment, and then get your take on the solos, in the same way you incorporate the well know melody lines? So the famous Brother's in Arms guitar melodies, played in your style, not Knopflers? You would not play his notes, with his timing and his twiddly bits - you would play yours.

I've been recording a song for a client - and while he is happy with it, I have exactly the same problem - there is a guitar version of the song's melody at the end, and it's a very simple melody, but no matter how hard I try, mine is a less than 100% copy of the original, and sounds like a 'mistake' - It's a very old song from the 70s - a piano song really, but with an acoustic guitar at the end - Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again, Naturally. The rest I think I have pretty decent - but I just cannot sort the ending.

Keep them coming. I keep thinking of other songs that would translate to your style - We all lead such elaborate lives might be an interesting one - interesting chords and melody

Back