Bron-Yr-Aur

PorterhouseMusic

Mitakuye Oyasin
I've been wanting to bring this up here for a while - this recording by Led Zeppelin. Well, it's really just a single solo acoustic performance by Jimmy Page. It's one of my very favorite pieces of music, bar none. It's just so beautiful. Still learning to play it fluently myself. Not there yet - but getting there.

But I've become interested in the recording itself. It has some unusual stuff going on and I wish I could better understand the technique(s) that make this final product what it is. So yeah... I was curious what other folks might have to say about it.

If you listen - one of the things that stands out right away is that it has some sort of effect that sounds like tape manipulation or something like that. Like a phasey kind of tape flange effect or.... I don't know what. But it creates this weird swirly vertigo-in-the-stereo-field kind of thing that just sounds bitchen. I want to know how he/they achieved that.

I'm wondering if they recorded with two mics maybe - to two different tracks. And then recorded one back against the other - and manipulated the phasing or something while playing with panning?? I have no idea and know nothing about this sort of thing other than what I've picked up watching youtube for the last 20 years.

There also seems to be very subtle use of a reverse reverb here and there throughout the piece. It's barely noticeable but definitely there.

Anyway.... yeah - would love to hear ya'll's thoughts on this.

It's one of my very favorite pieces of music, bar none. It's just so beautiful
I've got absolutely nothing of any value to add to this thread, other than to say that I too love this song, have done so since my 17th birthday back in 1980 and I've listened to it hundreds of times over these last 44 years and it always reminds me of Nigeria, where I was when I first heard it.
Why they left this and "Poor Tom" off Zep III, only they know. But I can't hear Bron-Yr Aur as anything other than a Physical Graffiti track.

I want to know how he/they achieved that.

I'm wondering if they recorded with two mics maybe - to two different tracks. And then recorded one back against the other - and manipulated the phasing or something while playing with panning?? I have no idea and know nothing about this sort of thing other than what I've picked up watching youtube for the last 20 years.

There also seems to be very subtle use of a reverse reverb here and there throughout the piece. It's barely noticeable but definitely there.

Anyway.... yeah - would love to hear ya'll's thoughts on this.
Sounds like a what ever Page put in his guitar (see the two pictures and the cable coming out) and a KM84 - the soudhole pickup capturing the body sound - the KM84 pointed at the finger board - most likely about the 10th Fret - Guitars are in C6 tuning - Very Bright Brand new Strings - with Page’s Fingernails adding to the Brightness - he processed the signals with RCA BA-6A limiting compressor - I also hear some Kind of Flange effect - could be the two mics - or screwing with the tape whilst recording - the whooshing happens at a couple points (first at 0:14) is likely done manually - Reverb was probably recorded to separate track - reversed - and then the volume Manipulated to make it occur at specific moments - The circling panning is quite odd and more complicated that just panning - you hear the flange effect better in mono - so maybe different degrees of flanging going on in each channel - also a good part the sound is the guitar being tracked to tape so the guitars are all knitted together due to the compression and slight tape distortion - also interesting to me Page left mistakes in the track - and maybe that had to do with only being able to get the mix right once - so the sound of the track couldn’t be duplicated again.

iu
iu

Last edited:
Back