Broken Tascam 244: mystery wire

lelman123

Hello,

My Tascam 244 was working perfectly but has now suddenly stopped recording! I opened it up and observed that the transport was seemingly in perfect order, however, there was a wire not disconnected to anything. I assume that this lack of connection is causing the problem, but I don't know where to plug it in.

These are some images of the wire:.

It is marked: MX-J.A 5 5 0 5 1

Thanks

I’m such a bonehead…I had one of my 244s out with the bottom cover off the other day for another reason and forgot to look at this issue id the loose plug.

The markings are just pertinent to the connector housing. They have nothing to do with the 244 or the function of those wires.

In my memory I recall finding the same loose connector in my 244s that I’ve had opened up. I’ll follow up.

Okay that wire is no mystery…each input strip has an overload LED right? That circuit is powered by a single-ended +5VDC supply, and that unterminated plug is the power and ground off the last input PCB. Each input PCB has a connector to receive the power and ground for the overload LED circuit from the PCB next to it…it’s just a chain of plug to pins to plug to pins etc bussing the power and ground from one PCB to the next, and of course the last PCB in the run doesn’t have anything for it’s wire and plug to plug into (and that’s the channel 1 PCB specifically). So there’s nothing strange going on there.

Here’s a better picture of the chain:

E07390F6-C5A7-40B5-AEB1-855C2852E515.jpeg

You can see the run of connectors vertically plugged in along the end of each input PCB, the connectors with the orange and black wires.

And here’s the relevant circuit from the schematic…each connector with the orange and black wires plugs into P102 on each input PCB:

B81D86CE-2DD7-4497-BBF1-49C211FBB48D.jpeg

Back