Broken Sticks... All Over The Place

Dani Pace

First off, I'm a guitarist and I do occasionally break a string, but lately it seems that every drummer I jam with goes through sticks like he is stocking up kindling for the winter. I'm just curious, do all drummers go through sticks like they have an endless supply? I don't know if they are using cheap sticks or just playing too hard. I'm looking for an average number from you guys so I will have a basis for suggesting they lighten up, and maybe a recommendation or two for better (tougher) sticks. Thanks in advance for any input.

Thin or cheap sticks combined with back technique breaks the twiggies. I use thin sticks (Zildjian 7A), and I'm not a light drummer. I haven't broken one for years, but they do chip down so I'll replace a pair maybe once a month or so.

I'm with Elton,
I generally don't break them during a performance , but i replace mine about every 3 months because of edge damage.

When I used wood sticks, I bought cheapos and would occasionally break one. Usually they just wear down. I use heavy-ish sticks. Usually 5B or 2B.

I use Aheads now, and although I did manage to break one, I like em way better than wood. Feel better, last longer, and they leave no wood shavings everywhere.

I get wood shaving everywhere because each hit on the snare is a rimshot. The hi-hat also chews away at them. However, I don't break sticks that often because I'm very selective when I pick them out (and I by 12 pair at a time). I always make sure the grain is very straight. If it's not straight I don't want it. Sticks always break at the weakest spot, so if the grain is diagonal across the shaft it will certainly break and the stick will have a short lifespan.

I know a drummer who uses thin sticks in live shows so they will break, just for theatrics.

I rarely just break one, they usually fail because I have widdled them down to near nothing from smacking the hi-hat. My drum rug looks like the aftermath of a beaver orgy after a couple of weeks. I, like Greg, play with heavier sticks, 2B, but I buy the Pro-Mark Japanese Oak ones. They seem to last longer and they feel better to me then hickory or the Ahead sticks.

Pro-Mark also makes a stick called "The Natural" or something like that. It as green printing on it instead of their standard black. I was forced to buy a few sets of those once, and I broke three or four of them in a practice session. Threw the rest of them out as soon as my music shop had the oak ones back in stock.

If I am recording or performing I'll go with a new(er) set of sticks, but for practice I just let them fail. I figure it gives me the chance to practice a stick grab in the middle of a tune anyhow.

-Wes

While stick wear from rimshots, etc. is not uncommon, a drummer who breaks a lot of sticks is doing something wrong - I'm guessing holding the sticks too tight and playing with arms rather than fingers/wrist.

When I gigged steady (say 3-5 gigs per week) I would maybe break one stick every year or two (and I used 5A's - a relatively light stick)

I'd definitely tell your drummer to reconsider his technique or stick choice, I don't break sticks very often, and though I'm not into heavy styles, I sometimes play all Keith Moon-like and such. Nonetheless, my sticks mostly just get beat up from rimshots, so i replace them when appropriate.

what KIND of music....?

if you consider Slayer as a "easy listening act" then YES, your average death metal drummer goes through a gross of sticks (and heads...and pedals.....and cymbals) every year.

if you are working on Paul Simon covers and the guy breaks ONE stick...you might have the wrong guy....

:rolleyes:

A buddy of mine once told me, despite going through sticks like an industrial woodchipper and numerous wrist problems, he plays "through the drum" (as in, pretending as if the bottom of the drum is the intended target) because it works for his style of music lmao

I very rarely break sticks and I use many different sizes and makes for different situations.

I think its kinda like what my friend says for guitar strings if you break one your doing something wrong.

I think its kinda like what my friend says for guitar strings if you break one your doing something wrong.

Not really. Both drumsticks and strings wear out over time. Breaking either in excess would indicate to me that you're doing something wrong.

I used to laugh about the "beaver dam" shavings every time i moved my kit after 2Bs at a hard rock gig. But there was something about that rim crack, eh?

There were many other gigs where my stash of two pairs of 7As lasted for weeks. Still had the same amount of fun.

I use 7a's, hit HARD, and play metal and punk and havent broken a stick in a few months now, though i have one that i think is about to go. It's all in how you hit 'em. I keep my drums pretty flat and low, just angled enough that i'm not hitting the rims, though i'm normally hitting rimshots on the snare. I keep my cymbals pretty low as well, so i'm not coming at them vertically, and hit them from the side so they aren't chopping my sticks. Helps a lot with stick life, and sounds better too.

I'm pretty much just learning the drums & have been playing for nearly a year. I bought one set of vic firth 7a sticks. They're still in great condition. Bear in mind it took a while for me to get the feel of playing drums & I've also been playing rimshots, making plenty of mistakes technique wise & experimenting. I guess it all comes down to how much respect you have for your instrument. I have a cheap kit, but still wont bang the shit out of it. I'd rather become a better drummer by learning how to play relatively softly with control over dynamics. I don't believe anyone that says they have to play the drums hard. I never had any difficulty in letting my wrists do all the work, so why can't they? It is true that it's better to play hard for showmanship or to get the best sound out of a powerful kit in some cases. But why would you need to play hard during a jam session or rehearsal? :confused: Sounds like you've not been jamming with drummers but people on an ego trip!! ;)

rimshots and cymbal edges break sticks

I don't play very hard and I use 7A's most of the time and Vic Firth AJN's for some gigs and play traditional grip almost all of the time. I don't go through sticks that much (but of course, I do break sticks occasionally) and I find that it IS due to rimshots but also from the occasional bites you get from the edge of a crash or splash cymbal when you haven't hit it just right. Those two things work together to cause sticks to fail. I can usually see when a stick has gotten too chewed uo to play well and replace them before they actually break while playing (but it does happen every once in a while).
It's just a part of the game.

most people that brake a lot of sticks are hitting the rims, have the drummer tilt the drums a little and see if that helps,

hope all is well danny, give a call if you need any help.
-andy

Back