Broken MacBook Pro, need help, see video.

endserenading81

Hello everyone,
in late 2008 I bought a new Penryn chip MacBook Pro 15". In early 2010, it died. No display, does not go into boot. Every time I hit the power button it seems like it will start, the sleep light blinks a few times, then shuts off, all within 5 seconds. Each time it shuts down a tiny little "chuuu" sound comes from the front area, near the HD.

I have posted a video on YouTube of this. Please check it out and give me your best answer to what it could be. Please tell me it's not a new motherboard.

YouTube - broken mac

Thanks!
R

Try and borrow anything to swap out. Try RAM, try a hard drive. Thinking about it, I lean more towards it being RAM. You should be able to POST and get into BIOS without a hard drive. So try RAM first. Even just take yours out, and reseat it. Then see if the fan is spinning at all.

Hey, tried another set of RAM. Didn't work. Tried re-seating it, didn't work. I already tested the hard drive on another system, works fine. Anything else? I'm pretty sure it might be the motherboard. How can I replace for cheap?
R

Looks like a mother board.

Have you Applecare? is it still covered or too old?

Also there was a issue with the gpu on some models, there was a recall and if the serial number matches Apple will replace for free.

Alan.

Edit: recall was for machines made between May 2007 and Sept 2008.

I went to the Mac store a couple days ago. They took it to the back, 20 minutes later came out and said it is not a problem with the video card, which is covered under that recall. They told me it is either the logic board or power supply not giving enough power. So either they are lying to me or I am truly out of luck.
$2000 for a Mac for two years .... nope, going back to PC. Damn. I love Mac OS. Could give a damn about the looks of the hardware.
R

I would write to Mac and tell them you are not happy with the product, they may come to the party with a free or cheaper repair.

Did you not take the Apple care extended warranty? Did you buy it on a credit card? Some cards have a free extended warranty attached, a friend of mine claimed this recently.

Cheers
alan.

If you can borrow a power supply or charge your battery with someone's power supply, that would help. It's weird, for sure. But if it isn't RAM or the power supply, then a motherboard issue will be the nightmare you inherit. Damn. Even if it was a PC, motherboard swapping is always expensive.
What I do for my PC's (and I have a disorder that forces me to 'collect' various laptops), is visit a lot of the repair shops that are run by one old guy. Not the large chain repair shop, but the guy who almost looks like he works out of his house. There's lots of them out there. Take him coffee, pick his brain, ask him if he has a similar model in his graveyard. Buy the board, or ask him to swap it out.

Back