Bring on the disparaging remarks! Its ENEMY AT THE GATE!

nickaggs

I wrote and released this song about a year ago, and have always been too afraid to ask for any kind of feedback on it. I am about to press another CD, so my fear-to-curiosity ratio has decreased enough for me to just throw it out. It was featured on some kind of Toontrack Metal (Yes, I said Metal; the song doesn't even approach metal) Jukebox on soundcloud last November, which I found out in February, so you can see the impact it has had. The album it is on is probably the most pirated album no one has ever heard of. Ha!

Anyway, I love the song, but was wondering what you guys thought. I am well aware of the low end rumble on large speakers and PAs. I do things a bit differently now, especially with vocals.

I love learning new techniques, so let me know what could have been done better! :D

The vocals need some body. I'm just getting highs and mids. It's mixed really well. Everything has it's own place and sounds good together. However, the song is lacking dynamics. Everything seems to be at the same volume which removes distinction from the different parts of the song. There were some places where the vocals sounded really autotuned. At 3:22, I feel that the song should have some kind of bass drop or something to make it stand out from the rest of the song. But with all that said, I did like the song. Reminded me of Stonesour. Vocals are very reminiscent of Corey Taylor. Good track.

Great track. In the 30 sec range the hi hats seem too loud, but fine for the rest of the mix. Love the voice, but ditto on Stat's comment, needs some low end punch. Also, the left channel cymbal (is that a semi-china crash sort of thing?) has an odd tone to my ear. Maybe that's just me, but it got to bugging me by the 4:00 mark and just continued and continued.
Well done, though.

Back