Bright "Green" Newbi - How to get song into cakewalk.

gtrplayer_1966

Ok guys and gals...

I just got my Cakewalk software installed. I do not have an owners manual...YET. Will look on the web.

Here is my situation.

I have composed a song on my Fostex VF80.
Track 1 - Drum "click" track (generic beat)
Track 2 - Guitar 1
Track 3 - Bass
Track 4 - Guitar 2
Track 5 - Vocals 1
Track 6 - Vocals 2

My first question is how do I get this song into the cakewalk program???

Secondly, as a "leadin" to the song I let the click track drum track run for 4 solid measures prior to starting the song. My hope with this is that once I get it into cakewalk I will be able to change the drum track to a more "WANTED" drumtrack etc...

I have been working with someone here regarding this issue and have an idea, but would still like further advice if possible.

Back to square one...I have to get the song into cakewalk first though.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!!

thanks!

gtrplayer_1966 said:
I just got my Cakewalk software installed. I do not have an owners manual...YET. Will look on the web.
Good luck! You won't find it! Did you know that if you buy the program you actually get the manual with it? ;)

And what Cakewalk program are you using?

Is that what you get when you buy the program??? Hmmmm....well since we are "ASSuming" things here, I'll clear some things up to "lighten" the note....:)

I recently moved across the country and my box of manuals, to include my VF80, Alesis SR16, Line6 amp, and my Cakewalk program etc... got lost in the mix. I kept all of my music recording manuals handy and together which was great at home, but obviously not so great in a moving truck.

Anyway....

I'm using Cakewalk Pro Audio... I'm not familiar with it AT ALL and haven't had the time until now to try to mess with it.

If you want to create one cakewalk track per tape track, you'll need a multi-input soundcard and a PC mighty enough to handle all those incoming tracks. (Mine can't handle more than 4 although I have 8 inputs.)

If your soundcard only handles 2 inputs, then you'll have use a stereo mix from the Fostex.

Basically: start a new project in CW, create the number of tracks you'll receive from the Fostex, set their input sources, arm the tracks and begin recording, hit play on the Fostex.

Getting it to the point where things work that simply is the hard part.

I would not advise transferring tracks 2 at a time if you only have a 2 input card. You will find it to be almost impossible to sync tracks recorded on a different take with the previous.

You should really just buy a multi input card from Echo Audio or M-Audio.

EddieRay said:
If you want to create one cakewalk track per tape track, you'll need a multi-input soundcard and a PC mighty enough to handle all those incoming tracks. (Mine can't handle more than 4 although I have 8 inputs.)

If your soundcard only handles 2 inputs, then you'll have use a stereo mix from the Fostex.

Basically: start a new project in CW, create the number of tracks you'll receive from the Fostex, set their input sources, arm the tracks and begin recording, hit play on the Fostex.

Getting it to the point where things work that simply is the hard part.

Eddie, that might not be the case. If gtrplayer_1966 only has a 2 input sound card and a 'lead in' on the drum track, if that lead in is played each time he records a track into Cakewalk he should be able to line up each track... otherwise, if the Fostex has MIDI, you might be able to sync them together to reduce the effort of lining them up.

Porter

Whew!!!! ZING! Over my head a bit, but I'm working it.

Ok.... my first problem will be that I have the generic soundcard that came with my computer (Gateway 1999)!!! I know, I know...time for an upgrade.

what I currently do is run the line outs of the recorder into the line in on the sound card, then use Sound Forge to record the mix.

I know this is analong correct? AND it fully defeats the purpose of multitracking on the computer correct?

Basically all I do then is just EQ it a bit and fade it out at the end etc... Not much you can really do with a "full mix".

Hence I bought Cakewalk a while back.

Now, I know I very obviously need to upgrade my sound card. I am looking at the MAudio 410. I understand that then I will be able to use my spdif outs and go into the soundcard and have it still be "digital" correct??

I'm learning from your posts here that I will need to INDIVIDUALLY put my tracks one or two at a time into Cakewalk in order to manipulate them and add or change my drum tracks right?

Having learned this....would it be easier for me to simply record the tracks into the computer (with cakewalk or something else) thereby totally bypassing and NOT using my Fostex VF80? then put the Fostex on Ebay?????

I know this is a lot, but once again, ALL of your comments and advice are GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!!!

gtrplayer_1966 said:
I recently moved across the country and my box of manuals, to include my VF80, Alesis SR16, Line6 amp, and my Cakewalk program etc... got lost in the mix. I kept all of my music recording manuals handy and together which was great at home, but obviously not so great in a moving truck.
No problem, I've done that myself.

I'm just very suspicious when people say they don't have the manual... ;)

gtrplayer_1966 said:
Whew!!!! ZING! Over my head a bit, but I'm working it.

Ok.... my first problem will be that I have the generic soundcard that came with my computer (Gateway 1999)!!! I know, I know...time for an upgrade.

what I currently do is run the line outs of the recorder into the line in on the sound card, then use Sound Forge to record the mix.

I know this is analong correct? AND it fully defeats the purpose of multitracking on the computer correct?

-snip-

That's kinda what I do now - record to multi-track cassette tape at a remote site, then dump each tape track to a Cakewalk track. My card (Aark24) has 8 in/8 out but I've yet to try more than 5 at a time.

On the other hand, when I start working on original stuff I'll be tracking mostly, if not completely, on computer (Cakewalk) rather than tape.

As for dumping 2 tape tracks at a time to computer and aligning them afterwards - it sounds like it could work but wouldn't tape stretch make it difficult to do that?

EddieRay said:
As for dumping 2 tape tracks at a time to computer and aligning them afterwards - it sounds like it could work but wouldn't tape stretch make it difficult to do that?

If I'm correct, the unit in question has a 20GB HDD in it so tape stretch shouldn't be a problem :D

I just saw you can get an optional CD Burner which might also be an options to transfer the tracks.. ie, mix down two tracks at a time each panned hard left/right, import them into which ever program you are using and split the left right channel to two tracks. Maybe??

Porter

Porter said:
If I'm correct, the unit in question has a 20GB HDD in it so tape stretch shouldn't be a problem :D
No, but you're forgetting about the jitter in the digital timeclocks. The Fostex and Sonar needs to be synced.

Back