Bright but no sibilance vocal mic for $200?

amuro73

Well, I traded AKG C3000 for AT 3035. Well, the sibilance problem I had with C3000 is improved (though not totally gone) but on the other hand 3035 sounds like it's missing the very high frequencies all together.

What mic should I try in this range next? SP C1? Ideally, I'd like a brighter mic without sibilance problems. Maybe it's not possible at this price range. I have a SM57, so something that sounds very different from that one...

Thanks!

ari

I've heard the C1 is quite susceptible to sibilance problems.

If you have problems with essy-ness, you might want to look into getting a used SM7 or one of the Shinybox ribbons.

Edit: I missed the bright part of your request.

I don't think you can get a bright mic for under $200 that doesn't have problems with essy-ness.

Shinybox ribbon - and use the reverse side as it is brighter. It completely subdues all sibilance though. Sounds really cool.
If you want a really present bright sound you just EQ it after. It takes top-end EQ much better than most condensers - you can boost up to 15db if you want and still not run into the slightest bit of sibilance.

you can really help with sibilance by backing off the mic if you are recording really close....and use a de-esser!

i sold my C1 because of sibilance problems! it had the craziest sounding sibilance at some exact frequency around 12khz. It wasn't like the normal sibilance sound I get sometimes from other mics, it sounded more like super high pitched distortion!

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for for 200.

Your description of what you want sounds like a large diaphragm dynamic......but aint none out there for under $200.

Run an RE20 or an MD421 thru a good tube pre (if you get the chance) and see if that isn't closer to what you are asking for.

There are LD condensors out there that work without sibilance, but not at the $200 price point. You would be better off to experiment with mic placement, distance, and off axis angles.

Do you have a de-esser? That will help some, and maybe a pop filter will help a little. Singing off axis will help, but then you may lose brightness or clarity, depending onthe mic pattern and OA rejection...... Try putting a wind screen on the mic, or singing over the top of the mic with the mic near the chin and pointed at the ceiling.....???

If you can expand the budget a little, then I might recommend something like the Shure KSM-44, or possibly even the 27.

amuro73 said:
Well, I traded AKG C3000 for AT 3035. Well, the sibilance problem I had with C3000 is improved (though not totally gone) but on the other hand 3035 sounds like it's missing the very high frequencies all together.

What mic should I try in this range next? SP C1? Ideally, I'd like a brighter mic without sibilance problems. Maybe it's not possible at this price range. I have a SM57, so something that sounds very different from that one...

Thanks!

ari

Mic placement is the thing to try here. I can't even begin to talk about how almost every mic, high or low end, will get a nice amount of siblance from a "problem" singer. Some people just have alot of it.

Try pointing the mic (ANY mic) down from above and singing across the mic. Try pointing it up from below in the same manner. Try many other things, but be aware that if you can't find a simple solution (mic placement, windscreen etc.) you may be barking up the wrong tree spending $$$$ on a new mic.

The best de-esser is to fix the vocal technique of the singer. S is not a vowel. If the sssssinger is heavily vocalizing the s then a mic will not sssssolve it.

Back